Large Scale Central

Micro Test Track

So I was thinking about my automatic stub switch project (both flop and spring), my loco project, and rolling stock future projects for the micro. One thing I was thinking was the need for trucks. My loco is going to require a special truck with small wheels to fit under it and look right. Standard B-mann wheels are huge; almost the same size as the drive wheels and just won’t do. Gary Raymond makes a set of ball bearing wheels that are .883 which scale out in 1/24 to be 21" wheels. That is a great size and are ball bearing wheels which would be ideal for tight curves. Sierra Valley makes a nice non-bearing set that are .837 that could also be used in the same truck.

I say all this to say I need a test facility. I need to test the function of my switches, I need to be able to test my loco. I need to be able to test my truck design, and I need to test rolling stock. What better way to do this than to build a layout (see how I did that). Well I can’t full on build the Micro I have planned. I don’t have the money, the space isn’t ready, and it will take to long to accomplish and I am impatient. Not to mention I need to fulfill some other wifely obligations first. But I need that test track. So I decided to see what it would take to put my two reversing loops together. This is practical in that I can use the reversing loops on the eventual layout. the two together fit nicely in a 3 foot wide by 10 foot long pace. It just so happens this can be made out of a single piece of 4X8 sheet stock. The core would be 3X8 and the 1X8 cut off could be cut into two 1 X 3 pieces and tacked on either end.

It does end up having a S curve of sorts where the two switches come together but hey if my stuff can negotiate that then the real layout wont have any surprises.

I even think I could sell this to the wife.

Oh course for purely testing purposes I could build buildings, trees, and other sorted scenery and place it on the test track using it as storage for the eventual larger layout.

Cool, looks like you have some straights off the loops so you can avoid S curves if you want, i.e. never “take” 2 turnouts in a row… then you can add in the “S” curve through the 2 turnouts for true torture.

so you will have UNDER a 3 foot diameter curve? I would think that will be a very limited set of rolling stock.

Greg

Greg,

It’s Pizza Stock. Vic is the inspiration for his indoor empire.

See how he’s shrinking a 2-4-0 on the Sheyenne thread

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/25321/sml-amp-m-co-1-quot-sheyenne-quot/view/post_id/308325

John

Yeah I can test long normal stock on the straight section but it wouldn’t handle the curves. But like John said this is inspired by Vic’s pizza layouts so 30" curves would be like having a country mile to turn cars on. The testing track will be for developing the indoor. I have all kinds of things I want to try and need a place to test them. This will be for only shorty type cars and even those will be highly modified for pizza duty. That’s another reason why the “torture test” wont be so bad.