Large Scale Central

Mexico’s Maya Train

Mexico’s Maya Train
Some 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) from the crocodile wetland, bulldozers are felling the jungle for the Maya Train, a $20 billion dollar project envisioned by Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador. A path 40 meters (130 feet) wide is making way for the train, and logs are stacked along the narrow road to the hidden archaeological site. Currently, from the top of nearly-deserted pyramids, the roar of howler monkeys sounds across a sea of green.
The 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) of rail will pass through unique ecosystems, including the limestone formations filled with freshwater known as cenotes along the Mayan Riviera. This raised a wave of criticism and lawsuits last year that got international attention and temporarily halted the work.

Above clipped from :
https://my.xfinity.com/articles/news-science/20230204/Mexico-Train-Biodiversity-e652

1 Like

Living in a tourist destination, this article has a familiar ring. Mass tourism is a real two-edged sword for any community.

Eric

1 Like

I hear ya Eric. Not exactly a mass tourist destination, but we live 1 mile from a state park with lake swimming/fishing etc. on a 2 lane country road. On summer weekends you can’t plan on getting to town and back (3 miles) in less than two hours.

On the other hand, our weekend guests spend thousands at local supermarkets, liquor stores and gas stations.

The town fathers don’t care about the economic impact. They want to do all they can to discourage visitors :frowning:

BOB - If you consider this political, I’ll delete it.