Large Scale Central

Metro North train derails in NYC; 2 dead: report

not good http://news.yahoo.com/metro-north-derailment-133919511.html

Richard

We are seeing the video on NYC TV right now. CNN reporting 4 dead now.

Metro North has had a very bad year this year. This is the second major derailment in a few months; much worse than the last one.

Latest is that three of the dead were ejected. This is definitely not good.(http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/tosi5nMRpU8iFal1PY96wQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTk5OTtjcj0xO2N3PTMwMDA7ZHg9MDtkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTYwOTtxPTc1O3c9OTE0/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/news/2013-12-01/2372b899-3a7c-4338-a6ce-6176cf0daf4c_AP896285467246_5.jpg)

Train 8808 was running express from Tarrytown and not scheduled to stop at the Spuyten Duyvil station in the foreground.

Jon is this a push me pull me?

Deadly Metro North train derailment in NYC

The reporters just asked if there was any difference in the energy being pushed by the engine. Did not specifically say it was being pushed, but I think so. They are saying 4 dead, 63 injured.

Yes. The locomotive is at the rear during Southbound travel. The lead car (at the waters edge) is a control car.

There was another fatal derailment today in New Mexico, not getting as much notice in the news. A locomotive pulling a freight train went into a ravine and killed three crew:

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/southern-new-mexico-train-derailment-kills-railroad-workers/article_287ea715-7e74-5296-b488-9b9baa6105f2.html

I was privileged to the NM wreck Saturday from inside sources, but had to wait till at least Next of Kin were notified.

Southwerstern RR, was the carrier, WhiteWater division, and they run in the South West (boot heel) of NM. They are the sole provider for the mega “Chino Mine” just to the East of Silver City NM. They interchange with BNSF across the bottom of NM.

The News report that they were hauling “Iron Ore” I believe to be erroneous, as that is Copper country, and the Chino Mine is one of the largest open pit mines in the country. Copper yes, I don’t believe that there is any Iron in that region, unless it was being brought in for some kind of smelting operation.

Don’t know yet ( if ever) why there were three on board. Normally a crew of two handle that kind of run. I think that there is only 8-10 men in that whole division. Bayard is just South of the massive open pit mine and further South to Hurley and rather large tailings. Look up Bayard NM. in Google Earth and you will see.

Condolences to the three families.

Dave

was Ann a man or a woman?

richard

My error, I believe Ann Thompson was a lady. My source is “out of reach” for a few days, I will followup with what I learn.

Wow, latest report from the NTSB says that the train was going 82mph entering a 30mph curve. The throttle was lowered 6 seconds before the curve and the brakes were applied 5 seconds before the curve. All of this from the black box recorders. The engineer is a 20 year veteran.

How sad!

Does begin to look like operator error in the Metro North derailment.
I think because it was a cab control car it will take longer to determine if it was operator error or not.
According to this story, it was 6 seconds before coming to a stop…not 6 seconds before the curve.
Ralph

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/02/21720831-ntsb-new-york-train-was-going-82-mph-in-30-mph-zone-before-crash?lite

Ralph you’re correct, sorry for the miss quote.

That corner was not a surprise to the engineer.

He has over 20 years experience.

It doesn’t make sense that he would suddenly ignore twenty years of safely operating trains, and enter a thirty mph curve at 82 mph. There has to be more to the story.

It has been proven that computer controls can be “hacked” in automobiles.

Is the possibility of a “hacking” going to be considered, or is this guy just going to be thrown under the… ummm … locomotive?

Steve Featherkile said:

It doesn’t make sense that he would suddenly ignore twenty years of safely operating trains, and enter a thirty mph curve at 82 mph. There has to be more to the story.

Sure, there is more to the story. But that doesn’t mean it will exonerate the engineer.
Truck drivers fall asleep all the time. No reason it couldn’t happen to an engineer.

But, being a cab control car, there is always the possibility that communications were disrupted between the cab control and the locomotive.
We’ll just have to wait and see :wink:
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Sure, there is more to the story. But that doesn’t mean it will exonerate the engineer.
Truck drivers fall asleep all the time. No reason it couldn’t happen to an engineer.

But, being a cab control car, there is always the possibility that communications were disrupted between the cab control and the locomotive.
We’ll just have to wait and see :wink:
Ralph

I agree with both of you. There is more to it and we will have to wait to get the complete story. Today they released more information. The speed increased from 70MPH (the limit on the track prior to the speed restricted section) to 82 MPH prior to entering the curve. This is consistent with passenger reports that they were going faster than normal before the curve.

I hope they find a mechanical reason, but is more likely that it was human.

I heard on the news this morning that the engineer said that he “zoned out” and only woke up in time to try to dump the air, but it was too late.

Note that this is not official from the NTSB, just from some infobabe.

Film at 11:00

The engineer told first responders he “dozed off”.
Also reported by the news and not NTSB.
Ralph

Lots of “unconfirmed reports” and/or “un-named sources” flying around today. If the engineer hasn’t lawyered up yet, he better soon. It’s not looking too good for him. There may be criminal and civil charges. Lots of survivor interviews sound like they are preparing to sue.

Anyone watch the Denzel Washington movie Flight?

Yup most likely that’s what will happen, What I dont understand is the train so Ive been told should have had a dead mans switch, why didn’t it work? also the conductor should have known something going on before accident he has access to emergency braking equipment as well.