Large Scale Central

McCurdy's Rio Grande Southern

On the Sunday of the 2006 American Invasion, we visited David McCurdy’s Rio Grande Southern. Some of you may remember, this is where I caught a good case of poison ivy last year. The railroad was big last year, it ended about 20 feet past the rocks on the left of this picture

Up between those two big piles of rock in the center.

But boy has it expanded.

I mean really expanded

David, also showed us the roundhouse he is building out of Jigstone.

We got to look in through some of the windows to see how it was going

He uses the same principal of building with a plywood frame as do other members of the OVGRS.

I think it is going to be 7 stalls

This is certainly a railroad to watch. You can see a whole lot more of it at David’s website http://www.rgs.almontecentral.ca/

And a very fine layout it is!! I kept thinkin as I walked around it that he needs battery chargers spaced through out. I can’t envision a R/C engine making the whole circuit on a single charge…:wink:

Very nice shots Ric. Thank you! Wow, talk about an empire and a half!!

Wow, that is one sweet layout! The roundhouse is really impressive too, it’s so huge.

McCurdy’s progress in a year was unbelievable. He uses a backhoe to move the big stuff, but there is still a lot of “hands on” in building and laying the track. He is committed to building a very fine railroad.

Wow! That is some railroad! Thanks for posting the pics!

All I can say is WOW!!! Where is this layout?
Paul

Paul Bottino said:
All I can say is WOW!!!! Where is this layout? Paul
West of Ontario, Canada. Some of our Canadian friends can give you a better idea. You can reach David at

www.rgs.almontecentral.ca

David is located about 30 minutes away from Ottawa, in Carleton Place, Ontaio.

Yes it is West of Ottawa, but not out of the provice of Ontaio, Ric…!!!

My bad, I meant west of Ottawa in Ontario. Actually, I knew that. I just couldn’t make my fingers type what I was trying to say.