Large Scale Central

McCown Freight

Eleven years ago, and it looked a lot better back then.

This year, it seems to have deteriorated to the point of repair.

I talked to Ken about this when he visited and he was a lot smarter than me! (Not THAT hard).

Anyway, I had planned to scrape the shingles off the roof and install new ones. He suggested that perhaps I should get new acrylic and not bother trying to clean up the old roof. The acrylic has been ordered and delivered, and the shingles just arrived, so perhaps it is time to fix this!

I’m trying to figure out what to do different. Maybe I’ll treat the shingles, or maybe I’ll just let it go for another 11 years…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

I personally think the station looks fine? Maybe the crews need to lay some fresh ballast to make it POP? Many spend countless hours trying to weather stuff which you allowed mother nature to do ?

However this is only my opinion and I’m no expert on anything.

what Rooster said.

if it were mine, i would just replace the missing shingles, to give it an “old, but maintained” look.

I’m with Rooster, fix it and let it go, best weathers are “gods”, 15 years painted green over the blue plastic, I get a lot of ? of how did you weather it, answer is left it out in the sun for 15 years, my “girl at the top of the stairs redo of “Johnson hardware” to hotel, very nice station model!!new hotel front” Bill

I can’t believe that I’m actually saying this, but I agree with Rooster. Replace the missing shingles, and call it done.

Well as others have said it actually looks better now, just adding a few shingles, and maybe touch up the window casing paint would make it fresh enough while still having that “weathered” look that we all have aquired

Well, I’m all for the “weathered” look - the last time I weathered anything intentionally was back when I was modeling HO, but, there comes a day when it’s just time for a NEW roof. The pictures don’t show it nearly as bad as it looks in real life. Even old, weathered structures get something new now and then, so I think I’ll re-shingle the roof and just wait for it to weather again…

I DO appreciate all of the comments - there’s a lot of work to re-doing this and it WOULD be so much easier to just leave it alone…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Well, FINALLY got this done…

Ken had the right idea - instead of scraping off the old shingles, just get some new acrylic sheets and use them. So, I threw out the old roof and started afresh - much easier. I had dreams of redoing the windows with clear acrylic, but whatever glue I used back then has held up too well for THAT to work. So, a repaint was fairly easy, and I covered all of the wood (shingles included) with a coat of boiled linseed oil. These shingles are a bit thicker than the original, so I’m hoping they will hold up to the elements (including acorns) a lot better.

I had to replace one of the figures - the original had been decapitated! (The squirrels are prime suspects!)

Looks pretty nice, but THIS will be the NORMAL viewing angle:

Spiffy!..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Nice model and great renovation Bruce. I guess it behoves many of us to put our structures on our winter railroad programme.

I must have forgotten you had a McCown Freight on your RR when I decided on a similar name McCown Freight Forwarding for an industry on my RR and an unfinished Challenge project from a few years back. I guess Bob is a mogul in the shipping industry with multiple locations. Re-work looks good, but will look better in the spring (assuming you are leaving out) once the gloss fades a bit (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’d have to say if the engineer can’t see that station he better get his eyes checked, great looking station, Bill

Wow Bruce, The face lift was very refreshing. I like the new appearance. The shingles are awesome

Dennis