Large Scale Central

Maximun grades acceptable?

I need your advice,
I have a two level yard. I can run trains at a constant 3% grade from one end to the other (the bottom loop is under a tree.)
or I could run trains down hill at a 6% + grade for 10 feet , but then run at a 1% grade on both levels with a short 8 feet run of 41/2% to 5% grade.
Otherwise my track will be elevated 6"+ . She who must be obeyed is not in favor of track floating in her garden (existing). I would also have to construct two removable bridges to walk thru an existing trellis/gate.
This is a logging railroad, continous loop, short trains, one direction,R/C battery powered. I am looking at Bachmann Shay, Heisler to pull 5-6 , 40’ cars. Also LGB 040 #2 with 3-4 car starter set. My intention is to run trains for short periods of time. I know it is not ideal but I call stay more traditional down stair in winter. Your suggestions or comments.
Sorry, in my hast to find an answer I posted this in the wrong area.
SteveZ

I wouldn’t be bothered by steeper grades on a logguing railroad. I think those Shays are built to handle it fine. I run 5 percent on my layout with R.C. and battery and I have no problems. It is a mining layout and that’s what I had to work with.

Steve,

Thank you for reposting, I think you will get better answers and discussion here.

I’ve got one spot going into a mine siding that approaches 8% for a short period. Short trains and low speeds are the requirements for serving tht area, but we get the product out.

I think you will achieve your goals, especially if you use geared engines and realise how hard they are working.

Steve

I have some pretty tough grades here…I’d encourage you to give it a go!

My Annie(RCS and Battery) works pretty hard on the grade, but she pulls it w/o slipping…I believe a Geared Loco would have no problems!

good luck!

cale

Steve,

When I design Logging & Mining layouts I try to keep to 6% max. But 4.5 to 5% as a general rule.

I just returned from a weekend on the Cass Scenic Railroad. A couple of switchbacks and an average grade of 7%, with a max grade of 11%. Those locomotives work hard going up that hill with a load of passengers! The switchbacks are long enough to use for a train meet. So, I’d choose the option for varying grades, but I’d run in both directions. Garden and trains can coexist quite nicely.

On the other hand, 40’ cars are quite long for narrow gauge; it’s more typical to have them be about 30’. You haven’t mentioned curves, but 40’ cars will require a larger diameter curve. Of course, I guess I’m assuming that you’ll be running 1:20 NG, since you mentioned the Bachmann locomotives - but I could be wrong! :slight_smile: