Large Scale Central

Mainline Wooden Trestles

Someone a few weeks ago on another channel, asked if there was a prototype for modern mainline wooden trestles. Last night I was a guest at one of the local HO clubs and they had a photo on the wall of just such a thing. After a few minutes on Google, I was able to find it. Feast your eyes, folks, it is absolutely stunning!. Here is the link: http://www.wwvrailway.com/camas.htm Here is a teaser.

Ah, The Camas Prairie RR.
You can see several of these trestles in the movie “Breakheart Pass.”
Reminds me of the Milwaukee trestles growing up as a brat in Rosalia, Wa. Three or four of those mainline wood trestles on the western side of town. We used to climb all over them and come home with bodies full of stickers, stinkin’ like creosote. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
jb

wasn’t mainline but it was still pretty impressive…!!

Ken Brunt said:

wasn’t mainline but it was still pretty impressive…!!

Shame that they are gonna tear it down

Iconoclasts

Peter McCafferty said:
Shame that they are gonna tear it down
Well, ain't that a bite in the behind..............:(

The Dinner train is running on borrowed time. The county has aquired the trackage rights from the railroad to build yet another bike trail. This time however the apear to have violated the law by not condeming abandoned right of way, but entered into closed back room negotiations with the railroad. The dinner train is fighting but there is no way that they can come up with the money, so even thou they will win, they will loose.

Leave it to the People’s Republic of Martin Luther King County(you didn’t know that, did you, took place in a back room in the dark of night and the opposition was not informed) to take something away from small business and give it to the tree huggers. I’m a cyclist myself, but another bike trail at that expense is just too high of a cost. They could, I suppose, make it dual use, there are several prototypes.

King County used to be named after Franklin Pierce’s Vice President, a guy named King, but the fruitcakes in Seattle had to change that… I’m surprised that TOC didn’t have a stroke.

Steven Featherkile said:
Leave it to the People's Republic of Martin Luther King County(you didn't know that, did you, took place in a back room in the dark of night and the opposition was not informed) to take something away from small business and give it to the tree huggers. I'm a cyclist myself, but another bike trail at that expense is just too high of a cost. They could, I suppose, make it dual use, there are several prototypes.

King County used to be named after Franklin Pierce’s Vice President, a guy named King, but the fruitcakes in Seattle had to change that… I’m surprised that TOC didn’t have a stroke.

Yes I did know that.

I don’t think I’d want to contend with left-coasters on bikes :frowning:

You mean “SPEEDBUMPS”? some of them are a militant bunch. Some can’t deceide if they are “Traffic” or “Pedestrians” and follow whatever rules are best for the moment.

You can probably find a few pics if you google “carrizo gorge”, “carriso gorge” or “san diego arizona railroad”.

Lots of wooden trestles in the Gorge, including one that is billed as the biggest, the Goat Canyon trestle.

None of them are modern, having been built in 1914-15, but they’re still in use. Currently by the Carrizo Gorge Railroad.

With its rugged desert scenery, multiple trestles and tunnels, the Gorge is one of the inspirations for my layout.

Lottsa pics here, including some wrecked boxcars.
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CarrizoGorge.htm
jb

Cool pics guys!

I went to the linked site in the original post and my virus software hit the roof! All kinds of crap being pushed down by the site. Banker virus was the main one in an exe file… Check your machines guys…

Jon.