Large Scale Central

Magnetic PEI coated build plate

I needed to get a new build surface for my ancient and venerable Qidi X-One2, and the official blue ones seem to be no longer available. Ultrabase and PEI surfaces seem to be popular (I have Ultrabase on my Chiron) but they don’t seem to make an Ultrabase one in the size I need, so bought a PEI one from Amazon. Install was a breeze after I cleaned all the old adhesive off the base. Took a while to dial it in, the magnetic base part acts as an insulator, so I had to go up 20c more on my extrusion temp and 10c more on the build plate. But it works great now, and prints just pop off.

1 Like

Bob, I found myself in the same position a couple years ago with my Prusa. After much hand wringing, I finally changed over to a powder coated flex steel plate from Matterhackers. I have been very happy with that decision. I print a lot with PETG and the original PEI plate that came with the printer simply refused to let go of the print even after cooling. The flex steel plate I am using now has a texture to it that gives a nice finished surface on the bottom of the print and I have no issues with the various materials sticking to it.

1 Like