Large Scale Central

Magnetic (electric) couplers

We were talking the other day about how difficult some locos are to disconnect the engine and tender - especially the ones with lots of ‘stuff’ in the tender.

I recalled seeing magnetic connectors on Aliexpress, so I ordered some. Turned out I had a perfect application - my new live steam loco has a servo in the cab with a long lead to the RX (rc receiver) in the tender. It has to be poked through a small square hole in the front and then plugged in to the RX. Not the quickest and easiest way to uncouple and disconnect the two.

Here’s my new magnetic connector with a bundle of r/c cables.

I clipped an end of one of the cables and soldered it to the new conector, which just happened to have 4 leads, and 3 were the right color.

Then I cut the loco’s cable and soldered the other connector to it.

And that was it. It works, and I can unplug the loco from the tender anytime I want.

They are $2.75 each (male or female) from
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802830203313.html

5 Likes

Nice! Ive been meaning to buy some of these for loco-to-tender connections.

Peter,

I couldn’t find the answer on the page. They look quite symmetrical. Are the magnets polarity aligned to keep the wires from aligning 180 degrees out of sync?

Yes. You can’t attach them any way but the right way!

2 Likes

Nice find Pete. I have a few of the Aristo Delton Classic C-16’s which are nice little engines but the tender connection is a royal pain, just a bit to short and keeps pulling out and killing the engine. I see some soldering in my future. Thanks

Jerry