Large Scale Central

LSC Project Railroad design

Ok as some or all of you know. I have to redo my layout. I have asked for some help and ideals in do this and have had a great reply from a number of you. HJ has been great. He came up with the Ideal of a Project design that all the members can have a hand in. I asked Bob about this and he gave me his blessing in doing it. SO hats off to HJ and Bob.

Back ground.
I do a big Christmas light display every year at my house and collect canned food at that time. I also do a few other things thought out the year to help raise money for some chairtys. the ideal be hind the train was to add to the Light display and the other events as well as for me to have some fun. The layout is in my front yard so it has become a big attaction with the neighbors both young and old. I have a event that I will be doing in Sept for Backstoppers (they help familys of fallen Police and Fireman) so I hope to have running trains again by then.

Layout Area:
The area is 45 x 45 more or less. I sent HJ a drawing with the messurements and he is going to do a rough layout ideal and we will take feed back on it and work on it with the ideals from the members. the area is flat right now. I am going to use the Laddar method for the track bed as heaving truned out to be a problem this past winter. I will attach the drawing for everyone to see so you have a Ideal of the area.

Things to keep in mind.
I have a BIG 2-8-8-2 loco that i love and do run so I have to beable to run it.
I would like tree loops so the trains can run with little attension from me.
A railyard/freight yard would be nice so that down the line I can do some operations.
I do not follow any set scale. If I like it I run it so my locos go from a small LGB 0-4-0 to the big one.
I plane on putting in a Mountain at some point. (maybe this year or next )
I was also thinking on it being a mountain/planes area layout with a town, freight yard, pass station and maybe a open farm area.

This is a project fpr all of the members. KoDos to HJ , Bob and you members. the job of design is on all the members and it will be listed as such on my website and signage. My job god willing and the credit card hold up is to build it.
I will be taking pictures and making notes all the way thought this so everyoe can see what is going on.

Time frame. ( lets face it years)
Right ow is my bussy time at work for me so I will not be able to start on this untill late April or May. So we have time for the design part. I hope to this year get the track down and trains running. Maybe more if I’m lucky. I know it will take years to get it done ( I know they are never really done) or to a point were the major things are done.

PLEASE feel free to ask more questions if you need more info.

Again KODOS to HJ and Bob.

Thanks Geoff

thanks Brian

This will help start things going -

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/altterrain/_forumfiles/projectLSCsmall.jpg)

-Brian

That is so much open space, you might want to look at some of the 101 Track Plan ideas. Why re-invent the wheel?

Nice place. This might take a little dreaming…

Ric Golding said:
That is so much open space, you might want to look at some of the 101 Track Plan ideas. Why re-invent the wheel?
Because the "101 Track Plans" book is a bit dated and the art of model railroading has moved on, even with the druthers that Geoff lists. Moving the old inside layout into the garden just isn't the cat's meow. At least not in my opinion.
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Ric Golding said:
Because the "101 Track Plans" book is a bit dated and the art of model railroading has moved on, even with the druthers that Geoff lists. Moving the old inside layout into the garden just isn't the cat's meow. At least not in my opinion.
I have to agree. what I tried the first time was moving my old HO layout ideals from when I was 8 to the outside.

I think we , YES WE, can do better. Easy way of thinking about this is if it were your space what would you do with it.

I talked with my local Hobby shop and he is willing to help out once we have a Design. Said he would cut me a break on track and such.

Hans, I guess the major things I would like are Loops so I can run the trains with out haveing to do much other then enjoy and being able to run three or more for that matter trains at once. Side note with out running them into each other.

Thanks again everyone

Are there any restrictions on the use of the space? Can we build into the middle of the area, or only around the outside edge?

Bob McCown said:
Are there any restrictions on the use of the space? Can we build into the middle of the area, or only around the outside edge?
All is fare game.

Just keep in mind that view it is best from the street or driveway. and my big 2-8-8-2 loco I am in love with and would like to run, and I use track power.

I’m keeping a really open mind to this.

What about elevation change, etc? Are you up for trestles and some fill?

OK The space - dimensions as per Geoff’s sketch - with some sample circles added and the viewing areas marked. The radii are based on Aristo track. Question: what track is the preferred one? always considering the present supply situation :wink:

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC_TP/Space01.jpg)

Bob McCown said:
What about elevation change, etc? Are you up for trestles and some fill?
Yes I am up for trestles and fill. I am going to use the ladder method for the bed so I can do the elecations that way and landscape the areas as needed.

Hans looks great. Is that done with your cad program?
I like the aristo track that I have better then the LGB stuff. But that is me.
I will just have to remember to make a list so I know what I need to get, find, or try and talk people out of. :slight_smile:

Considering the 75" radius would be the smallest I would even think of running the 2-8-8-2 on, the area where you have the 60" radius might best be used for a yard or major industry.

“Hans, I guess the major things I would like are Loops so I can run the trains with out haveing to do much other then enjoy and being able to run three or more for that matter trains at once. Side note with out running them into each other.”

Sounds like 101 track plans to me.

Ric Golding said:
"Hans, I guess the major things I would like are Loops so I can run the trains with out haveing to do much other then enjoy and being able to run three or more for that matter trains at once. Side note with out running them into each other."

Sounds like 101 track plans to me.

Ric did you read the start of the post?
I use my trains as something for people to enjoy allong with my Christmas lights and other events I put on. Its a little cold and hard to do operations when its 10 degrees out or your entertaining a large group of people. the loops allow max enjoyment mim work. I also put that I would enjoy a railyard were I can trully play with the trains.

I’m sure with the members that are here something can be done that is a little better then 101. I think your all not only the smartest but nicest group of train people going.

Now were did I put my coffee I think I’m gettng cranky.

Both CTT and OGR have track plans for 0-gauge that can be scaled up for use.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC_TP/Staging01.jpg)

OK Here’s my proposal for the Staging area. Semi-hidden behind a mountain ridge (all the scenery features will follow later!), close to the house in order to have some semblance of security (lights, cameras etc.). Also close enough to access the basement space if that should ever be contemplated for storage. The shortest track of the double mainline yard is 15 feet. Track lengths closely balanced in order to make selection of track not an issue … but trains should not exceed the 15ft length. Storage for two trains in either direction with run-through tracks remaining empty. #6 turnouts. Staging for the Branchline - which swings into the nook by the walkway - is elevated by approx. 8" (standard building block). Just the one siding should be sufficient to allow alternating trains in either direction. Large Radius turnouts.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC_TP/Mainline01.jpg)

It’s “round 'n round” - for display purposes - with a few wrinkles aka industries, thrown in. The parallel bridges on the Street side span a lake, the crossovers between the two lines (right hand running) are strictly for switching purposes. Branchline coming up … a bit later. Waiting for feedback and different ideas! The track colour of the branchline has been changed to “blue”.

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/F-PIX/LSC_TP/Branchline01.jpg)

OK, this is it as far as track is concerned … err… hmmmmm … at least for my suggestions. :wink: :slight_smile: :wink: The Branchline is KISS i.e. just the one loading siding (of whatever mine) the trains drop empties and pick up loads, plus miscellaneous deliveries of supplies. All cars are interchanged at the bottom of the hill. Alternating West- and Eastbound trains on the Branch(for display or operating purposes). FEEDBACK AND INPUT, PLEASE!!!