Large Scale Central

Looking for ties

I’m looking for replacement ties for Micro engineering code 250 aluminum rails.

Does anyone know if they make a “narrow” gauge tie strip?

Does anyone else make a narrow gauge tie strip that will fit these rails?

Thanks

Rick

I don’t know about the code 250 rail but their code 332 aluminum rail works well in Aristo Craft ties. Contact Bruce at Switchcrafters he sells Micro Engineering products.

I’ve been using the Accucraft narrow gauge tie strips with Switchcrafters 250 aluminum rail.

Hopefully that will give you some idea of what it looks like.

Rick,

are you saying that micro engineering tie strip is not available? it is defiantly narrow gauge in appearance, been using it outdoors for over ten years here in N.E. I would think price is comparable with anything else out there. micro engineering rail will not fit AMS as it has a narrower base.

Al P.

The Micro Engineering web page seems to be up-to-date, and lists code 250 tie strip…$52+ a box…of 48 pieces.

They also list their dealers…there is probably one near you…the list is extensive.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Chuck,

I will contact Bruce and see if he can help.

Ken,

Thanks but I don’t think Switchcrafters rail is the same as Micro Engineering’s.

Al & Fred,

Micro Engineering ties are available as far as I know but they are not really what I am looking for.

Below is a picture for comparision.

On the left is Accucraft code 250 with “narrow gauge” ties on the right is Micro Engineering with their standard ties. As you can see they are considerably different. All my M-E tie strips have gotton brittle and are breaking up I would like to replace them with something that has a more “narrow gauge” look

think 1:20 scale

Thanks for the input

Rick

I’m not sure who makes the switchcrafters rail, but it does seem to fit the AMS ties better then the Llagos Creek rail.

I’d suggest Llagos tie strip, but it doesn’t look much different than MEs.

(http://www.llagastrack.com/images/lctrack.gif)

Sunset Valley ties don’t look much better.

I have 250" of switchcrafters rail and a huge box of ME ties to go with it, as soon as life allows me to lay it all down. It all fits great. I bought both rail and ties from Switchcrafters about 2 years ago.

I find it odd that two guys say you can’t use ME 250 track with AMS ties yet Ken does? I was told the same thing that ME has a narrow footprint. How does the track work for you Ken? Any problems keeping gauge? I’m really curious about this because I want to start with code 250 when my 332 supply dries up and the ME track and AMS tie are the most inexpensive route i’ve found without giving up quality.

Terry

When I get home tonight I will lay my calipers across the foot of the code 250 rail and see what it measures. Didn’t mention in my first post, but mine is code 250 Aluminum also.

OK, footprints.

On the rail I have in hand the following foot widths are.

Micro Engineering code 250 Aluminum (at least 25 years old) .219

AMS code 250 aluminum (10 years old .245) the 3 year old is .240, don’t ask me?

Switchcrafters code 250 aluminum used in a switch build .211

Llagas Creek code 250 aluminum (10 years old) .194

And of course they all have different profiles.

I tried sliding a piece of M-E rail that I have into Ams code 250 narrow gauge tie strips and I can just push the rail over sidewise with my thumb, no grip at all.

What I want to find is an AMS size tie that will accept the .219 foot of the Micro- Engineering I have on hand.

Further information appreciated.

Rick

Terry Burr said:

I find it odd that two guys say you can’t use ME 250 track with AMS ties yet Ken does? I was told the same thing that ME has a narrow footprint. How does the track work for you Ken? Any problems keeping gauge? I’m really curious about this because I want to start with code 250 when my 332 supply dries up and the ME track and AMS tie are the most inexpensive route i’ve found without giving up quality.

Terry

The Llagos track wasn’t real snug in the AMS ties but it kept in gauge. I wasn’t real happy with it. The switchcrafters track is what I’m switching too since it’s a better fit and it also comes weathered. Like I said, I don’t know where switchcrafters gets their track, it may be Micro Engineering.

The code 250 that I got from Switchcrafters came in at .209" and fits nice and snug in the ME tie strips.

Sounds like the newer rial has been thinned down some. How much of the old rail do you have? Could it just be allocated to building switches? Or Perhaps sell it to someone who would use it for switch building, then spend the proceeds on new rial?