Large Scale Central

Long over due

This project has been in the planning stages ever since I started work on the yard in Delores. The switch on the passing siding was way too tight a radius, but the Annies seemed to negotiate it without too much problem. The Connie on the other hand, would bind up going through it. With the arrival of the K-27, this problem needed to be addressed if it was to use the sidings in Delores. With the heat wave that was gripping the area for the past week about run it’s course, I traced out the track work around the switch on some brown paper, and using that as a guide, started laying out the new switch. I didn’t think to take pix of the building process, but did manage to get some of the installation.

The old switch was one of my first efforts and worked fine while it lasted. It used code 332 aluminum rail and a cast resin frog, about a #4, I think.

The new switch has a #8 frog, so it should make it easier for the K to use the yard.

The return of more normal summer weather didn’t help much, but it was a bit more pleasant than what it has been.

nice fix, Ken… :slight_smile:

Nice looking job there Ken. The engine barn in the background is real neat.

Big differance between the two. Nice work Ken.

Looking good. Do you make your own harp stands, or buy them. I’m about ready to bail on my Aristo switch mechanisms after almost laying the Shay on its side last Sunday. Barrel bolts are an option, as are the choke cable throws, but I really like the look of a scale stand.

That one there is an Ozark Miniatures harp stand. I’ll probably replace it with a Tenmill ground throw as those are a bit flimsy for outdoor use. I’ve already bent it about 3 times.

The one on the 3-way is a little more robust, but still bends easily if it gets kicked.

Ken,

You seem to be light years above me on this track laying project. I truly sit in aw of what you are doing. Thanks for sharing. Too may projects, to much work, too many hobbies and too few of hours in the day, week, month, year or life. If I just don’t die until my projects and desires are done, I’ll live forever.

Ric, there are projects and then there are projects. Some sit on the shelf for a few years until the motivation hits. Some wander around in the vapor that some people call a brain, and usually die there. Others are of the “must get done” variety. This was one of them. And I just got tired of looking at it…:wink: Once I set my mind to it, it wasn’t all that difficult. After a few burps and some fits and starts while building the switch yesterday, I was finally happy with it. I almost installed it last nite.

Ric Golding said:
If I just don't die until my projects and desires are done, I'll live forever.
Wouldn't it be great if life worked that way?................;)

Ken looks good. The yard area also looks nice. The switch stands look nice. The ones Bruce has plans for work well and hold up. I cant tell you how many times I hit them and they dont move.

Ken Brunt said:
Ric Golding said:
If I just don't die until my projects and desires are done, I'll live forever.
Wouldn't it be great if life worked that way?................;)
What ? It doesn't ? You mean I've made all these plans and had all these ideas for nothin :O Ralph

Nice looking job Ken. I assume that location will henceforth be called “Shoefoot Switch”? :wink:

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/delores/deloresyard02.jpg)

#455 eases on to “Shoefoot Switch”

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/July%202011/K27run001.jpg)

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/July%202011/K27run002.jpg)

AH, much better…:wink:

I love that first picture. Great shot.

Fascinating to look at Ken. It is rewarding to see what others achieve.

Projects here? plenty of them. Space for them? not much sadly. lol