Large Scale Central

Logging Arch

Whew! What a lot of excellent modeling work, Rick!

I cheated and bought the Spec Cast model.

Very nice Rick. Not to nit pick, but if you want to be correct prototypically ( and I really dislike that word) the wheels should be running on the rails, not on the pads. A minor detail and something that only those familiar with tracked equipment would notice. Still, very nice, and my compliments.

Ron

Ron

Page 1 ( start with the prototype’s he posted) ? Perhaps I’m confused on terminology though?

Hi Ron,

You are absolutely correct on both counts.

I mentioned this a couple of times in the posts above with out really going into details.

Rooster,

If you look closely at the proto picts you will see that the pads, the pieces that touch the ground are actually bolted to a “sub” pad that make up the running rails that Ron is referring to.

Like I said I didn’t really feel like creating a master and casting 96 to 192 pieces then assembling them for this project.
Thanks guys

Rick

Rick

That photo brought back some old memories. When I was just a wee feller, my dad was logging in the big timber of coastal British Columbia, Canada. He had an arch similar to this. I don’t remember much of the details as that was 50 years ago, but do remember that it had tracks. I am going to search through his old photos as I know that I’ve seen a picture of it somewhere.

As for the rigging on the top, this may have been used as a tailhold for a yarder or skyline setup in its later life. That makes it easier to move, much as nowadays they sometimes use an excavator with a modified boom. Even now loggers are an inventive bunch, making use of what they have to make life easier.

Ron

Rick

Thanks I get it now.

Ron

Sorry I just didn’t understand.

I have always jokingly had a motto …If you don’t know something ask an old guy. Well it stands true!

:wink:

Ron,

I grew up in the Redwood logging country/industry in the 50’s myself so remember a lot of this stuff even though I didn’t work with it myself. If you find the pictures please share them, I am always interested in seeing historical photographs.

As for the additional rigging I think that you may be absolutely correct in your assessment. It seems to be the most logical explanation but unfortunately we will never really know for sure.

Rooster,

That’s kind of a left handed compliment but I guess we will let 'er stand:)

Later

Rick

Thanks Rick!

Finally some more progress to show.

I thought it might be a good idea to explain that I lay out each segment on card stock before transferring to styrene or Sintra sheet. That way I can make all the mistakes and changes on the card and not mess up the styrene sheet.

Cutting out the .040 Styrene skins for the vertical arches, I have been using the E6000 glue to laminate to the Sintra.

Here is one of the vertical arches with some of the wrappers on and the holes drilled for the start of the wrapped cutouts.

A couple of shots of the vertical arches completed and attached to the angled arches and tracked wheel assemblies. The card stock beam pattern is in place to give some perspective and to make sure the measurements are correct. Notice that the brass has all been burnished with A-West’s “Blacken It”, things are moving along.

Thanks for taking a look.

Rick

The main beams are done, just the Fairleads, hitches, cable guides, and the paint/weathering left.

![|800x600]

![|800x600]

Probably won’t be posting anymore pictures this process has just became way to big a pain in the ass and time consuming

Rick

Really nice work Rick. I hope you at least post some of the finished model.

pain in the ass?
i would be happy, if my pains would turn out like this!

Korm,

It is not the modeling it is the picture posting that has become just too much trouble.

oh, yeah, that i understand.

another of my preferred forums, the british G-scale central, just changed everything.
aparently everybody thinks, software has to be changed every six months nowadays…

Rick Marty said:

The main beams are done, just the Fairleads, hitches, cable guides, and the paint/weathering left.

Probably won’t be posting anymore pictures this process has just became way to big a pain in the ass and time consuming

Rick

Absolutely beautiful modeling work Rick! Please don’t stop posting pictures of your work. Maybe Bob can give you a hand in figuring out the system. I tried the new system just after Bob announced it and I found it better than before. JMHO

Looking great! Is the cat the next build?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess it was mostly frustration talking it took like 10 minutes and 6 tries to get those last two pictures posted.

Like I said before it was improved placing a picture in a post was a 2 click operation. Now for some reason, for me, it has become a 6-8- click operation and unreliable as well. Maybe it will smooth out over time or maybe not.

Jon,

I built the Cat 60’s a couple years ago.

Gorgeous Rick My favorite kind of logging arch! I wish someone would offer a diecast model of one of those.

Love your work and I feel privileged to have seen your tractors in person.

Rick, great build! Keep posting the pictures, Please. Or put the link in and someone here will get them to show for you. I’ waiting to see the painting and weathering.

Can’t be used for “Miks Build challenge 2014” Thou! You will have to keep the thinking cap on for that. But I think with your talents that won’t be to hard.

…I built the Cat 60’s a couple years ago…

Let’s see that, too, Rick.