Large Scale Central

Log of steps toward operations

Well, it’s too hot here in Southern California to work on the layout so I thought I would start a log on my steps toward running operations on my layout. I’ll make periodic postings of my progress and I welcome feedback. I am an operations rookie, so helpful advice is appreciated!

Before I could begin, I had some basic issues to address:

Step 1. Make all of my rolling stock play well together.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time (several weeks) converting my Accucraft, Bachmann Spectrum and some LGB rolling stock to Kadee couplers at a standard height (using the Kadee coupler height gauge). It took quite a bit of customizing. I called Kadee for some advice but they were not helpful. After some trial and error, I standardized my approach and worked through all of the rolling stock and my two Bachmann engines.

Step 2. Tweak the rolling stock for minimum radius operations

I’ve got some back-to-back turnouts that result in a couple of “S-turn” situations. These require maximum flexibility in the left-right coupler swing on my rolling stock (hope that makes sense). I discovered opportunities to maximize left-right swing on Accucraft rolling stock by slightly “bending” the air hose bibs away from the couplers. On some models, the hose bib is so close to the coupler that it interferes with the swing of the coupler. Also, I had to make sure that the coupler chain does not hang down and interfere with coupler operation.

Step 3. Battery powered R/C control

This is a personal decision. I find the additional flexibility a great advantage. Currently, I have a Bachmann Climax and a Bachmann Connie (with BBT running gear) fully converted to RCS systems.

Step 4. Turnout maintenance.

Another discovery! I found three turnouts that worked fine if I was pulling rolling stock through them, but would derail if the engine was pushing them through. This would be a real aggravation during operations. After studying the situation, I was able to bring the turnouts up to full functionality. I would have replaced them if need be. On two of the switches I added an insert to the guard rail to help the wheels hug the outer rails and stay on course over the frog. I used a strip of thin brass, hand-bent to fit

It’s a cheap fix. We’ll see how it holds up over time.

At this point, I can run my trains without coupling or derailing issues.

Step 5. Industries, freight depots, stations, etc.

I’ve got quite a few structures on my railway but I only set them out for meets and I have not made final decisions about placement. I want to experiment quite a bit first. I’ve created a set of wooden blocks with the structures printed on them:

These allow me to experiment with placement on the layout.

More about the layout on my next post.

Thanks for reading!

Joe,

You’re on the right track and doing the right things to make ops fun. You might take a look at how Ops are set up for other railroads. You can always start by just exchanging like cars for like cars. Place a box car on a siding and next time out replace that box car with another. Come up with plans to operate your railroad with a purpose and you’ll find a lot of hidden enjoyment and will also show any flaws in your track plan or equipment and help you correct those flaws that you just thought were part of the hobby.

Hang in there and thanks for sharing.

Joe,

That does look like you’re doing things the right way. I like the blocks for industries; I did something similar before I had all my buildings.

For your spurs, make sure that if there is any grade that the cars run to the end of the track, not towards the switch.

Getting the track to be suitable for operations seems to be the hardest part for me. I can go around and around with no derailments, but as soon as I start using the sidings I find my problems. If I am not in the middle of something, I’ll go ahead and fix it right then, otherwise I just take a picture of the problem area with my camera - that way I have a photo reminder of what needs work.

Another way to run operations is with colored coins. Assign a different color to each industry, then randomly place a coin on each car in your train - and deliver that color to the appropriate industry. Down the road, you might want to take a look at JMRI - it provides for plenty of randomization.

I’ll agree with everything my operations mentors have said above. When I started I quickly found I didn’t have enough cars to get the activity I was looking for. I’m still tweaking everything (equipment, track and op plan) but it is to the point for the last few years that I can have an enjoyably single person op session that takes several hours to complete. I still lack buildings at most of my industries and I need more sidings on the outdoor division so I can limit ops to outdoors and still get enough action, but it’s still enjoyable and expansion plans give me something to work towards.

My first ops were based on a system that Ric developed (and shared at several ECLSTS Seminars where I first met him) using dice to make up a train, then exchange like-for like. My first full blown op experience using software train orders was at Fred’s IPP&W. When Bob and Bruce developed the TrainOps software I started experimenting with software. A few years ago Bob retired TrainOps and we moved to JMRI which is worth a look. There’s lots of support for JMRI on-line plus a handful of active users on here that can help.

Joe B. Step 4. Turnout maintenance.

Another discovery! I found three turnouts that worked fine if I was pulling rolling stock through them, but would derail if the engine was pushing them through. This would be a real aggravation during operations. After studying the situation, I was able to bring the turnouts up to full functionality. I would have replaced them if need be. On two of the switches I added an insert to the guard rail to help the wheels hug the outer rails and stay on course over the frog. I used a strip of thin brass, hand-bent to fit

Good idea… We had to do the same thing at our set up area with all three Switches there. Did this a few yrs ago and works great for us now.

Don’t know why Aristo made them so darn wide.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Eventually, I’d like to add some variability to my ops using either the pin/dice option or a more robust computer based system. Right now its baby steps. Fortunately all of my sidings are level so no worries about rolling stock staying put. However, I’ve got plenty of slope between towns so I cannot cheat and park rolling stock in “unauthorized” places.

Noel, did you attach the inserts to your turnouts? So far, mine are just press-fit into place. I was thinking of maybe a spot of glue to hold them in place.

I’ve created schematics of the primary switching areas of my layout. They comprise four areas:

1. Peppertree: an East and West yard (West yard inside my shop).

2. Roseville: a town with various small industries and agriculture

3. Olivia: a small farming community

4. Interchange

Here is a schematic of Peppertree:

Some of these industries are no more that sidings at this point. But if the work out, I’ll try to expand the yard to make it a bit more realistic. In the meantime, I can use them in operations.

Here is a schematic for the other areas.

While Roseville and Peppertree are permanent towns, the interchange is a temporary spur that is set up on a concrete driveway on the side of my house. It’s big and flat and I can do a lot of experimentation on it. It’s easy to assemble and break down after a meet.

I like that you have an interchange. That really opens up the possibilities of interchanging with the ‘real world’. While simple, you could just start by gathering everything spotted on the layout, and moving it to the interchange, and vise versa. That way you would get a feel that your cars are actually going somewhere instead of moving them around the layout. Depending on how many cars you have spotted at various places, just moving them to and from the interchange (start with some cars on the interchange to be delivered on the layout) could give you an hour or two of operations.

Joe Bussing said:

Noel, did you attach the inserts to your turnouts? So far, mine are just press-fit into place. I was thinking of maybe a spot of glue to hold them in place.

Joel B. No, just made the ends small enough like yours and just press it on. They been there for a couple of yr"s now.

Guess if like… can put a drop of super glue on it if needed.

Joe,

Are you still pursuing Ops?