Large Scale Central

Llagas rail

Hi all, No longer able to get the brass Code215 profile (drawn in Oz) I was looking for an alternative. Of course it had to fit the same tie strips - those I can still get. I had read that some Swiss mfg was using the Llagas rail and since I had a drawing of that tie strip I did a quick comparison. That looks very, very close! Called Dave (Curmudgeon) and he sent me a sample. Fits perfectly! Below some pictures of the first 6ft section I assembled, I’m really pleased how the rail fits the ties. Having a bit of experience with flextrack I’m glad this stuff assembles like butter; I’ve done the other variety, too. :wink: :slight_smile:

Gauge 1 tiestrip “Made in Canada”

Code 215 wow , talk about scale .
Is the Canada tie strip the Euro type with clamps and screws /bolts [AC , USA , LGB , AMS , etc ] , or RhB type , insted of the USA type , spikes , tie plates , construction ?

Dennis Paulson said:
Code 215 wow , talk about scale . Is the Canada tie strip the Euro type with clamps and screws /bolts [AC , USA , LGB , AMS , etc ] , or RhB type , insted of the USA type , spikes , tie plates , construction ?
The tie strip looks very similar to what Tenmille has.

Back when (2001) that was the closest approximation to a RhB fastener scheme. And apart from that the price is right, the clamps small enough to permit the LGB flanges without modifications. You just never know when someone comes by with wheelsets like that. :wink: :slight_smile:
That’s a consideration on the handlaid turnouts, too. No super-proto frog and guard rail tolerances; NEM-MOROP is tight enough and still allows “standard” wheelsets.

Well my hats off to you and anyone who uses scale rail and tracl/ties . Track is a model also .

I always get kinda tickled by people who build a kick ass super scale model down to the gnats ass perfect , and picture it on a table or board because they do not have any scale track to picture it on ,… train , track , you know the stuff that works together !

I’ve looked into using Code 215 Aluminum track, but it seems more spendy than even Aristo’s 332 Stainless. Is that correct, or did I get switched onto a forgotten stub somewhere?

SteveF

Dennis Paulson said:
Well my hats off to you and anyone who uses scale rail and tracl/ties . Track is a model also .

I always get kinda tickled by people who build a kick ass super scale model down to the gnats ass perfect , and picture it on a table or board because they do not have any scale track to picture it on ,… train , track , you know the stuff that works together !

Thanks , Dennis , I’ll take that on board next time I publish a photo of rolling stock .

Mike

Dennis Paulson said:

Hi Dennis,

Thank you.

Good one!

I’m working on a diorama for picture taking purposes. Since I got some “comments” regarding the missing tieplates on my handlaid turnouts, I will use Code 215 tieplates on the handlaid track together with the wooden ties.
The diorama will only by 6ft long, no great hardship to handlay track with the proper number of spikes per plate and all that good stuff. :wink:

I hope people do not take my comment wrong , please , I respect all the builders models .

I’ve just noticed that there are some like Bruce Chandler , and others , who build really great models , …and their photos are on scale looking track , I just think that adds so much and makes it a really complete model .
And yes , just a six foot piece of scale track for photos , would help a model so often be complete .

Dennis Paulson said:
I hope people do not take my comment wrong , please , I respect all the builders models .

I’ve just noticed that there are some like Bruce Chandler , and others , who build really great models , …and their photos are on scale looking track , I just think that adds so much and makes it a really complete model .
And yes , just a six foot piece of scale track for photos , would help a model so often be complete .

Dennis,

Nothing wrong with your comment, perception is in the mind of the perceiver.

Yes, scale track puts things in “perspective”.

Dennis ,
Heaven forfend!!! Any suggestion which improves the enjoyment of the site must be considered . It is not always practical , and if carried too far will possibly put potential subscribers off —where do you stop? Buildings on streets ?
The idea of a photo layout is a good one , it should be possible to produce an international style . Only if it needs to be as such , of course .

Worth thinking about .

Mike