Large Scale Central

Llagas Creek Track(still in business?)

I ordered a bunch of track March 22nd through their dealer Greg Posta at RGSRR Hobbies and they apparently back ordered it all. I recently tried to call Llagas creek and all their published phone numbers are discontinued except one and it only accepts messages. Anyone know what’s going on?

John,

I ordered a box (400 pieces) of Llagas Creek ties strips from Garden Railroad Supply Company in California in late March. The shipment arrived last week. The box was labeled Space, Ltd, which is the parent company of Llagas Creek. It was direct shipped to me from Baltimore, MD. In the past, I have made direct orders to Llagas Creek by calling Bill Mai at the phone number on the Llagas Creek web site, but I have been unable to contact him directly for the past year or so. I’m not sure who is running Llagas now. I have also tried to place an order via a couple of other authorized Llagas dealers, but GRSC was the only one that was able to get the order filled.

Bob

Why not ask the dealer? My guess is that they would learn something when placing the order.

I’m asking around, will report back here if I learn anything.

Greg

I just got my order of switches, and am told that my box of track is coming too.

I’d try calling Don Niday at Iron Creek Shops (http://www.ironcreekshops.com/home.html) I’d bet he can help you.

Matthew (OV)

Greg Elmassian said:

Why not ask the dealer? My guess is that they would learn something when placing the order.

I’m asking around, will report back here if I learn anything.

Greg

Well Greg, I did ask the dealer first of course and he basically told me what I posted. So today I tried to call Llagas direct and got nowhere. That is the reason I posted this question.

OK, gotcha John, of course you did not indicate this in your post, your post states that you did the investigation yourself.

No mention of any info from the dealer except they were backordered.

Just reading what you wrote.

Greg

Gentlemen,

To paraphrase Mark Twain, “recent reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated”. I’m Dave Queener, and I assemble and ship Llagas Creek flex track for my friends Bill Mai and Gary Broeder. I’m pleased to tell you that after his recovery from serious illness, Llagas Creek’s turnout builder, Tom King, is once again producing turnouts from his California workshop, with Gary assisting him with the back orders. Most orders for flex track, rail and tie strip now get shipped within 1-2 business days from my shop here in Tennessee. Bill Mai, having retired from his plastics business in Baltimore, is now co-coordinating orders from his new home in St. Augustine, Florida. Bill and I will also be at the 2014 Garden Railway Convention in Tampa this week. We hope to meet many of you there.

Cheers,

Dave Queener, Owner
Cumberland Model Engineering
for Bill Mai, Owner
Llagas Creek Railways

That’s great news Dave, glad that one of the most popular manufacturers of track and switches is alive and well!

Greg

Dave,

I can not thank you enough for your detailed explanation on the health and other issues surrounding LlLagas Creek production. In the “instant response” world we live in, this was a real mind bender. I placed multi-turnout order back in October of 2013 (still unfilled) thru Clem and Warrior Run. Clem did tell me of the health issues, so I’ve waited patiently for a back order. It is somewhat bothersome to hear that orders from March are being filled, while an order placed over 4 months earlier has still not been delivered.

Bottomline, Llagas Creek is the premier rail product for those of us who model narrow gauge. The most important thing is the health issues have been worked out! I look forward to receiving the backorders shortly.

Jim Kottkamp

Thanks so much for posting this info Dave. I’m happy to hear Llagas is alive and well.

My whole layout is Llagas, using code 250 nickle silver rail with narrow gauge ties. I’m so glad we chose Llagas. Most visitors to our layout always ask, “what track is that?” “It looks great.”

Just a follow up to my post. Dave Queener called me from the Garden Ry convention to let me know he will fill my order when he gets back to Tennessee. He also said Bill Mai is 80yo and has moved to Florida. That is probably why the phone numbers in the adds no longer work. They will review the add material and correct that also. It seems that Llagas Creek is in a sort of transition righ now. I agree with Matt, their track is just great. I have both code 250 and 215(NG) and some of it is 13 year old and still functioning just fine. Their ties are pretty durable.

My box of track arrived yesterday … thanks Dave & Co !

Matthew (OV)