Large Scale Central

Live steam micro layout

For a while now I have been thinking about building a small micro layout to run my Cricket on. Seeing what Vic has done inspired me to do the same. Its going be a small logging layout with a sawmill on one siding. The track will be handlaid (it will be good practice for when I do my next outdoor layout). I want to put some tall pines in the layout and also a gully for a trestle. Some rock ledges on the outside edges.

Shawn that looks cool. I will be keeping an eye out for that build. might be fun to run something in the garage for the winter.:wink:

Looks cool. What size is it?

Terry

Neat idea. You;; need to make your own switches too. Not terribly hard especially if you buy the frogs.

Terry its 60x30 inches.

Jon where can I get the frogs from? I just might make the switches if I can figure it out. My original plan was to take most of the plastic ties off the switches and replace with wood.

I think that Switchcrafters has some.

Llagas Creek has both frogs and points. If it was me I’d forgo the turnout and use a sector plate… That might add a bit of more visual interest.

Guys lets not analyze this to death. But think it is a cool build.

I’m looking for the scenery in such a small project.

What if the whole layout was placed on a solid table. And under it was a lazy Susan. With rollers on the corners. You could do some very detailed work front and back as you turn it in a small space.

Sector Plates. That’s a new one for me; had to go look it up. Interesting.

Shawn don’t forget to add some track power leads …ya know …just in case.

Makes sense if you give yourself options for what to operate on it. You could run the leads to a pair of screw studs mounted on the side.

Jon Radder said:

Sector Plates. That’s a new one for me; had to go look it up. Interesting.

Since you looked it up and I could not find it what is a sector plate???
Never mind just found it. I have seen this used on live steam portable layouts. Its a good system and saves one lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Today I hope to start cutting up my ties and then weathering them.
Does anyone have a way of darkening brass (other then buying the stuff in the small bottle) something like vinegar etc… ? I have one switch that’s to new looking. All other track is perfect from being outdoors.

Shawn, What size diameter is that track in the pic?

Ron its 31 inch dia. My Lumberjack, Sammie and Backwoods steamer fits around them.

Shawn, What brand is that track? And are you going to take the ties off of them and replace them with wooden ties?

Ron its Aristo track and yes I plan on taking the ties off and replacing with wood. I would have loved to do code 250 rail but wanted to use what I had. It will be good practice for when I do my next layout outdoors.

Shawn Viggiano said:

Today I hope to start cutting up my ties and then weathering them.
Does anyone have a way of darkening brass (other then buying the stuff in the small bottle) something like vinegar etc… ? I have one switch that’s to new looking. All other track is perfect from being outdoors.

I’ve always used the small bottle, but here’s some interesting options: http://www.ask.com/question/darkening-brass

Or get a bottle: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=978&source=googlelps&avad=55097_d5098aa7&utm_source=AVT&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=AFAVT

And one I have never tried:

Surprising, one of the most commonly available household chemical you can use to darken brass is Palmolive Dishwashing liquid. Look at the label and see if it contains sodium bisulphite and other sulphur derivatives. These are very similar to the chemicals in Liver of Sulphur.

Apply the dishwashing liquid with very little water to the bare brass and keep rubbing till you get the color you want. This will take only a few minutes. When you get the color you want, wash off the dish washing liquid.

Thanks Bruce. Ill have to give it a try.

For a little enjoyment this video was also part of my motivation

http://youtu.be/uNt4KlpWWlg