Large Scale Central

Lionel Large Scale Thomas The Train yellow track

Can anyone tell me, from experience, if the Lionel yellow Thomas The Train track is UV resistant and therefor
able to be left outdoors? It doesn’t say on the box or in the old ads. Most of my railroad is LGB and Aristo track, but I have a lot of the Lionel, both yellow and brown, thus the question.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

If it has the thinwall stamped rails, it’s no good outside period.

Is the brown Lionel track ok for outdoors. Recent friend just passed and his widow is getting rid of his indoor layout, my layout is outdoors and in process of expansion that’s why I ask about the Lionel track . Thanks

I don’t believe any of their track has UV stabilizers. It certainly has never been advertised that way.

The thin wall brass rails are not sturdy.

Look elsewhere for expansion track.

Regards, Greg

Thanks Greg

I was pretty surprised the first time I saw the yellow stuff, then seeing the rail was “hollow”. I wonder what possessed them to pick the color yellow.

There must be a story behind it. I even saw yellow switches.

Regards, Greg

After posting this question here, I also contacted Lionel Service directly. I was told none of the Lionel G track was UV protected. The switches are code 332 solid rail. Same radius as LGB R1. To build a layout with Lionel track and Lionel switches in G scale, you MUST use their rail joiners which are narrower on one end. Since the yellow track was packaged with THOMAS the TRAIN for children I was astounded at how difficult the track is to work with. I bought the yellow track originally to match what came in set. Later I bought more because the yellow switches are excellent and I could buy them for $20.00 each, brand new. When I bought the track I was thinking INDOOR train. I have built an Indoor John Allen Switching Problem (The original, not me) in G scale. I am writing an Article to post on the site. I need to take a bunch of pictures to post with the article but have had a hard time getting my children (Grown) and neighbors (Grown) to stop playing with it. I’ll get it up one of these days.

you might want to look here John. Ric did a wonderful job and we get to use it at ECLSTS and other shows.
http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=101

Dave :slight_smile: and welcome aboard