Large Scale Central

Like Split Jaw but not?

Richard Beverly said:

Greg his last post he says that they will not thread together, so it is a different thread. So i question if they definitely SJ.

Richard, upon closer closer inspection, I guess I’m a dope and was wrong. By habit for years I don’t like forcing things, so when I took a single (old) screw and tried to thread it into a single newer body, I hit resistance, so I stopped. However this morning since it was nice and cool out, and the house was quiet, I took several apart and found that it must have been just a little machining variance, a buggared thread, or some dirt, or something. When taking several of each apart and trying pieces into pieces, most fit each other fine.

Here is a picture:

SplitJaw rail clamps

So here is picture proof of what I believe to be both old and not-so-old (newer-ish) Split Jaw rail clamps!

Thanks to all!

Bob, you replied while I was fooling with trying to edit and post a picture. What you said about the change in screws exactly matches the picture I just posted!

For archival purposes, in case someone finds this info while searching in the future, about what year do you think you chatted with SplitJaw at York and he made the change?

I’m thinking that around 2004-05, I chatted with the originator of the Split Jaw company at York, he was changing from SS screws to black steel screws. It was a year or two later that he reduce the height of the Split Jaws so they would slide under 332 rails on Aristo and LGB ties and reversed the thread from the back piece to the jaw pieces. I just looked at my stash and I still have four different configurations of them.
These joiners are spread over 3 or 4 different members layouts and our club layout.
I do like the latest version, deeper groove, steel screws, threads in the loose jaw and lower height.
I know that Split Jaw company was for sale a while back, not sure who if anyone else now owns the company.
The only steel screws that I have found are 3/4" long, they stick out a little, but no problem, I buy them in 200 count boxes.

Hmmm black SS screws.

I hope these are only used on their brass joiners and not their stainless steel joiners. I like the all stainless (silver color) look.

All silver color is what I have on the entire layout now. If black screws are on their new joiners I hope I won’t need any new ones.

Interesting thread. Screw color does not matter to me as I paint all my SJ joiners to match my track. I put a scrap piece of rail on the inside while I paint just in case I might care about conductivity some day.

Do the painted steel screws rust over time? I have enough trouble opening joiners that have been out in the weather for a few years as it is.