Large Scale Central

LGB Turnout Versions?

Been going through my track from my old railway, the move and inspection and repair of each piece.

Got to 4 LGB 1205 turnouts that I bought years ago but never used. Reason was they needed some work.

Well went through them yesterday and notice each one is different either in the moldings and/or electrical pickups.

All say "Made in Germany on the bottom.

Some have missing track jumper electrical straps on the bottom. No they show no sign of having no welds or solder.

It looks like at least three different versions and two made from the same batch but 2 straps missing on the bottom of one. Must have been a quality issue here.

How many have you found?

Also notice the electrical strap locations and quantity are different from photo 1 & 2.

I’ve noticed at least three different moldings as well, Dennis, but I’m afraid I haven’t documented them. I wouldn’t be surprised if I have two or more variations right now waiting for some sort of maintenance, or for repair, or for installation if this winter ever lets up… (Outdoor railroading around here generally starts up around mid-May.)
I have also noticed differences in the point rails. Some are a single piece of rail all the way from tip to frog, where they pivot; others meet the closure rail about halfway up to the frog, and pivot there.
In my experience the longer (and I believe older) point rails have been somewhat more reliable as far as electrical continuity is concerned. Here on the L&S RR that’s less and less of an issue each year as we continue our program of conversion to onboard battery power…

You will also notice the pivot point screw locations are different. The top photo has the pivot point screws further from the frog than the bottom photo which is next to the frog.

I like the longer point rails also.