Large Scale Central

LGB - too soon to evaluate?

Vincent-

Thanks for your report - and photos.

Considering identification of “new” vs. “old stock” is a key to pricing and assurance the newest product is what is sold and bought, are there other identifiers other than made in Hungary – presuming made in Hungary is stamped on the loco underside. Any differences in packaging? Anything else for comparison that’s obvious in the models themselves?

Thanks,
Wendell

I was out of the hobby while LGB went thru the made in China phase so I never ended up purchasing any of that product ( so I don’t know how it was packaged internally)
The new made in Hungary product resembles the prior made in Germany product as far as quality of packaging.
It has the nice rugged hard composite packing and the sturdy cardboard outer shell.
I paid under $160 for the little diesel switcher and under $400 for the forney.
To me the new LGB product appears to be every bit as good as all of my older made in Germany products.

For those wanting assurance they are buying the “newest” LGB products - evidently with a Hungary stamp on the car or loco under frame - is there any change in the outside packaging colors, data, and design? Can any of us determine from the box appearance that it is a new product? Or do we have to open it up and pull out the product - to the concern of any shop owner?

Wendell, most manufacturers put “Made in ______” somewhere on the box.

And if the dealer, LHS, or whoever, will not let me examine what I want to buy, up close, then I guess I just don’t really want to buy it then, now do I?

I agree, a dealer who does not approve of opening a product box for inspection is not completing a sale.

As to box graphics and color, I remember declining the light blue Aristo boxes and favoring the yellow - yes, I knew the improved FA gearing was the FA in the yellow box. However, the blue did bring some sought after box cars no longer produced – at least that was what I believed. I have no idea how the “current” GENX Aristo products are packaged.

The remaining one of four LA area model train dealers reported to me today - Tuesday, 28 - LGB has kept the precise same box colors and graphic as prior. He had no idea how the box would disclose a made in China product – or elsewhere for that matter. Looks like a look-n-see effort. Now, as to mail order, only a persuasive request to get the “new” is what is available – as opposed to a packaging description and a number.

Any confirmation on exterior package design, etc., from our LGB buyers? Aristo buyers?

Wendell, I just checked some LGB boxes I have in storage. On the end of the boxes there is a line drawing of the item in question, along with its model number, and printed on the label is “Made in…”. 2 of the boxes I checked were made in Germany, and one was Made in the Czech Republic. So its is printed on the label, if one takes the time to look.

As for the Polks Generation Next stuff, its in the same Aristo yellow boxes, with the Polks Generation Next printed on them where Aristocraft used to be printed on them.

No real issues at the local shop that deals with the new LGB, only thing he has ran into was a batch of turnouts that didn’t have the motor mech hooked up to the points. So far the plastics and engineering is at the same level as the Lehmann era product. Delays of product is no supprise from the current parent company, seen that in the HO side for years. If that is all we can complain about, other than prices(a very dead horse), then we are pretty well off. That being said, I personaly prefer the older Lehmann era products and run such on my layout. Mike

Maybe David has given us the solution (above post) to ordering the “newest” LGB manufactured loco or car - to avoid any product production source you don’t want. Apparently, at this point, Hungary is the source.

As David noted, look at the box end - or ask the person on the phone to please make sure the box end has the manufacture’s country identity you want and model number in print. Secondly, it appears from the postings that the packaging retained the same color and logos.

Now, can it be affirmed what the “newest” packaging of locos and cars has on the end label?

NOTE: If this posting is frustrating in length, talk to someone who ordered LGB from an innocent sales person and got a product from China they did not want. In fairness, the sales person did not think it was old stock. Of course the reverse is possible with you wanting “Original old stock” because of the German manufacturing standard.

Since I don’t have a lot of LGB, and I haven’t looked to see where it was made, and since all of what I have works fine for me, I have a question. Was the made in China LGB stuff really that bad?

I ask, because I don’t know.

For the “made in China” stuff I have seen seemed to be pretty close to Germany quality. Maybe a slight differance in “feel” of the plastic. None of my stuff is made there, but my friend has some of the USA prototype stuff that was made there. Mike

Wendell, I spoke with Trainworld today, and my LGB Olomana is on its way to my house, so I should have it next week.

David-

Look forward to your report helping those of us who do order LGB, no matter athe vendor, we will have identifiers to recieve the latest LGB produced:

Package - especially the package ending if codes or descriptors are in print. Any other packaging identifiers differentiating from previous mfg.

Loco itself - numbers and mfg. source along with physical changes

Runability and quality control appraisals.

Thanks

Wendell, I got my Olomana today, and I ran her around the railroad for an hour or so. There was some gear whine, but she ran smooth. She had some wheel slip going uphill with one car in tow, but the little engines are like that. I will be removing her skates so she can pull the grade better. I had to do that with my Chloe (2002 vintage), and the small industrial locomotive.

Despite what LGB said in the information provided, she does not have traction tyres. That makes me happy. Also, the trailing truck has metal wheel tyres. The old Chloe has all plastic trailing wheels. I need to talk to Dan and see if I can order that part from the Olomana parts catalog, and update my Chloes with metal trailing wheels.

Also, included in the box was a link and pin coupler. Bonus! I was going to install link and pins on her, and whatever cars I tag behind her, anyway.

The box label does say made in Hungry, as I suspected it would.

David-

THANKS!

You are the singular source, to date, as to affirming manufacturer identification on the package of a “new” LGB product. Presumably, the Hungary manufacture statement is also on the loco body. Correct?

Your photos are very helpful affirming the manufacturer source on the box - this makes it easy for an accurate mail order shipment.

As to the gear whine, my experience with at least 50 pre-Hungary LGB locos at the Living Desert in Palm Desert, CA., was the factory lubing effort was consistently meager. As I have stated in earlier posts, I use Mobil One grease on the gears and 10-30 (or heavier) Mobil One oil on all the rolling stock axles.

Please complete your welcomed information with a exploration of the internals of your new loco.

Thanks,

Wendell

Wendel, I opened up the Olomana today. Unlike the Chloe, the Olomana uses an intermediate driveshaft with bevel gears on both ends. Bevel gears can be a bit noisy, and so that is probably why I hear the gear whine when it runs.

Picture 3 shows the board that powers the headlight, Picture 4 shows the flexible coupler mount, and the last picture is her with the skates (A.K.A. brakes) removed.

As you can see, the underside does not say LGB, it says Marklin.

Before removing the skates, she could barely haul the cargo van up to the summit, and that with a lot of wheel slip. After removing the skates, she was able to haul all 3 cars up to the summit with no wheel slip.

While removing the skates, I did see where the one bevel gear didn’t look like it was lubricated as well as the other gears. So I put a drop of LGB gear lube on it. It didn’t quiet her down any. The gear whine isn’t loud, but its noticeable.

Thanks for the post David.

Let us know how the noise does after running it for a while.

David-

Did the addition to the loco’s gears of gear grease (LaBelle, LGB, Mobil One) result in quieting the gear noise? The photos of the loco’s motor block appeared to have little lubrication.

Thanks,

Wendell

No, not really. It still has some gear noise. But since it has bevel gears, I kind of expect it to always have some noise.