Large Scale Central

LGB Switch Machine

For the last four years I have had a LGB switch machine sittting outdoors, exposed to nature. Today for the first time I cleaned out the debris inside (so little as to be negligible) and then applied power and the switch operated perfectly. Note this item had never had power applied previously, as it was subjected to an exposure test only. I must say that my appreciation of this item is heightened.

Now to the question. As regards using the LGB switch machines, is it possible to use two (or more) control boxes to control individual switch machines? My thinking is that there are times when a remotely mounted control box is inconvenient and a local control box would make it easier at times, when the operator is close to the switches concerned and thus negate a trip to the remotely mounted control box.

If you happen to use the TE for control you can operate the switches with it (yes LGB with LGB switch machines) using Aristo’s remote switch controller. This allows you to operate the switch anywhere on the layout.

Warren,
many thanks. I have the Train Engineer (still in their boxes after four years). I also have the Aristo switch receivers and may eventually go this way.

Tim,

Sure, as many in parallel as you need. The switches are N/O momentary, use a springloaded center-off SPDT toggle switch with two diodes (one going P, the other N) for halfwave DC.

One lucky fella, Tim.
I put my 1600’s outside, and in one month you could not even move them by hand.
I had to clean them out every couple of weeks.
Finally ripped them out and went all 250 aluminum.

Curmudgeon said:
One lucky fella, Tim. I put my 1600's outside, and in one month you could not even move them by hand. I had to clean them out every couple of weeks. Finally ripped them out and went all 250 aluminum.
I had basically the same results and removed the 1600 controllers. I replaced them with Tenmilles and couldn't be happier with how they work and hold up to the elements.

Well, everything up and running just fine. Several multiple switch operation, simultaneously as well as local and remote operation of the same switch machines. I used the LGB control boxes as I had them available. I even managed to wire up my reverse loop (first time). Operation just perfect. I used the method with a bridge rectifier, so requires momentary stopping in the zone. Just to be on the ‘safe’ side, I installed two bridge rectifiers and associated track feeds. Thus I have two feeds to the rectifiers and double feeds to the rail. Hopefully, nothing will stop me now.