Large Scale Central

LGB reverse track

Hi, My name is Phil Nymark and I’m a newer member. I’m hoping to get some feedback about some issues I’ve had with my large scale stuff. I have an HO and an N scale layout and use an NCE Powercab starter setup for these. I also have a Pro Cab. Last December I bought a large scale Bachmann 3 truck Shay that came with DCC and sound as well as a bunch of track. I bought an NCE SB5 to power it until I can get a PH-10. The SB5 worked well with my powercab until I tried to program the long address/road number into the Shay. I noticed I could not use the “use program track” function as I do in HO and N. Well something weird happened and the Powercab would not respond and didn’t seem to want to talk to the SB5. I switched to the Pro Cab and it worked and I was able to program in “use program track” mode as I would in HO or N. I even re did some sound CV’s that seemed to have been lost in the aftermath. I’m in the shade about a lot of the technical aspects but can often get the job done even if I don’t know exactly how or why. So I was happy with this outcome but would like some insight on what happened if someone could inform me.

My second issue is reverse loops for large scale. I bought two LGB turnouts and a set of LGB reverse track pieces. I set up my SB5 and Pro Cab and made a reverse loop. I connected the reverse track to each end of my turnout and connected them with curved track. On the single side of the turnout I put some long track so the Shay would have someplace to go. I connected the power to the inside of the loop and put the Shay on the single side of the turnout approaching the loop. The green light on the power source, the red light on the SB5 and the display on the Pro Cab all began to flash. No problem I thought, I’ve got a short from some mistake I made. One of the reverse track pieces had an arrow on it so I turned it around thinking I solved the problem. No good-it wouldn’t work. I disconnected everything thinking the SB5 would return to normal but when I plugged it in it still just flashes, the green and the red. I tried resetting it according to the manual but think I must have damaged it and will probably have to send it to NCE on Monday. What’s the best way to run reverse loops in Large scale? I want to do a dogbone mainline in my backyard. I have reverse loops in HO and N with no problems but G scale has a learning curve and I’m on it. The reason I thought I could do it this way is because I inquired from a vendor and was told no other wiring was needed. I obviously missed something and again, any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks-Phil Nymark

The LGB reverse system uses diodes in the end tracks to stop the locomotive. They work well on DC, but if you are using DCC then they wont work quite so well. The diodes will block half of the DCC signal/power when the locomotive is on these end tracks. Then the LGB unit kicks on to reverse the power to reverse the locomotive and the diodes will block half of the DCC signal/power.

First issue, ask NCE about this on their forum or directly. It sounds like a firmware issue, and you do want to make sure you have the latest firmware.

I need more explanation on your reverse loop configuration. It sounds like you connected the main output to the reverse loop and the reverser to the rest of the layout.

By the way, the LGB reversers are not really great, buy the DCC specialties PSX-AR unit, much better, programmable, bulletproof, and better suited to higher currents found on G scale.

Greg

When I woke up this morning it occurred to me that those track pieces might not work for DCC. I sure appreciate your help. I’ll try the PSX-AR. Thanks so much David and Greg-I’m really enjoying the Large scale but have a lot to learn. Running trains outside is a whole new world-Phil

And also, I did connect the main output to the loop. I didn’t even have it correct for N or HO-I’m still havin fun though-Phil

You are having fun? Then you are doing it right, whatever it is.