Large Scale Central

'LGB of America' on Ridge Road website

I had heard of the German releases from Piko, but this link looks interesting. A NYC version is also to be released later this year as well.

http://www.ridgeroadstation.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=37338100!205

I guess that answers the questions about the 0-6-0 huh?..

Yeah, mind you there were certain German “friends” who snickered and laughed when I mentioned that quite some time ago on LSC. :wink: :slight_smile: But that’s OK, I know their disposition. And their lack of imagination as far as potential production in the “Toy sector”. Isn’t it “basically anything goes”??

Cale, no it doesnt actually, the USRA 0-6-0 LGBoA showed was a tendered loco built on a Mogul block and cobbled from various existed molds, this 0-6-0T is another animal altogether. That said, it looks like Piko could very well take the wind out of USA’s sales so to speak by providing a very desirable engine at a price half of what USA wanted. Credit should go to Piko for reading the market right.

I always thought that USA has shot themselves in the foot with there diecast 0-6-0’s, they are so expensive, at $450 for the tanker, and the $1300msrp tendered engine is still MIA having never being offered. Stupid prices, they should have done them in plastic at half the price, they would have been far more successfull.

PS anyone notice the boxcar and caboose are both ex-MDC molds? :wink:

Credit should go to Piko for reading the market right.

With a little help from thier friends…

Tim -
Interesting, yes, and yes.
Kudos to PIKO (I think) for manufacturing (or did they?) a starter set which hopefully will be assertively marketed by (?).
I noticed the “brand” listed for this set on the Ridge site is “LGB of America” and the product description is PIKO - that’s IS interesting.
Hmmmm. Wonder what content is on the box that indicates the LGB of America and PIKO relationship.
Is this set from previous LGB of America stock – outside of the loco?
Will the “LGB of America” be the dominant image maker with PIKO the manufacturer in “small print” so as to keep the LGB brand name active as connected to train products.
If so, meanwhile, Marklin loses the American starter set market while there is definite use of the LGB brand name because LGB of America NOW HAS PRODUCT TO SELL and the brand name will not lose ownership.

My take is a sharp play by LGB of America.

Wendell

It’a a mistake. It’s a PIKO train set distributed by Silvergate Distributors, Inc.
LGB has nothing to do with it.

Wendell Hanks said:

My take is a sharp play by LGB of America.

Wendell

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wendell,

If they were only 10% as sharp, they’d still be the owners of EPL. :wink: :smiley:

Hey, for once jj is right!

“38100 Piko American UP Freight Starter Set”

Curmudgeon said:
Hey, for once jj is right!

“38100 Piko American UP Freight Starter Set”

Hey, that means it’s a good day. He read and comprehended!

(http://www.ridgeroadstation.com/istarimages/mp/37338100!205-6808338.jpg)

Nov 08? I’m still waiting for the Aristo standard gauge Connie they were taking pre-orders for 2 years ago :lol:

So for Silvergate to keep “alive” the use of the LGB trademark as LGB of America, do they not need to show sales of a product with that said label? Could not – and this may be a stretch – have their “division” LGB of America as a “brand” on the box with the product made by PIKO? My understanding from Jack Lynch is “LGB of America” is still under their pervue and they can use it.

I am curious if Ridge is possibly accurate with the listing of the “brand” as LGB of America with a PIKO manufactured product in the box. This is only IF the above is a possible interpretation.

Wendell

Wendell,

The “URL-tree” to the product reads like this

RRS said:
Trains » Piko » American Sets » 38100 Piko American UP Freight Starter Set
What more would [b]you [/b]want?

PS For practical purposes LGBoA is about as relevant as EPL Patentwerk oHG!

I hardly think a $350 starter set is “affordable”.
I doubt at that price it will get many started in the hobby.
You can go anywhere and get a Bachmann set at half the price.
Ralph

Well considering that most LGB starter sets averaged between $200-$300 to begin with. This was still when the Euro was at 1.1 to the Dollar, and dont forget, part of the higher price is likely due to the Dollar racing to catch that elusive Peso. Its at 1.5 Euros to the Dollar today so everything coming from Europe is going to be more expensive, and rumors of major price hikes coming from China just might put new Bachmann sets right up in the same territory. Waiting till after the Olympics to see what shakes down.

Victor Smith said:
PS anyone notice the boxcar and caboose are both ex-MDC molds? ;)
If that's the case that would make the loco 1:32 scale. Too small to run with 1:29 rolling stock. Not a terribly smart business decision.

-Brian

Victor Smith said:
Well considering that most LGB starter sets averaged between $200-$300 to begin with. This was still when the Euro was at 1.1 to the Dollar, and dont forget, part of the higher price is likely due to the Dollar racing to catch that elusive Peso. Its at 1.5 Euros to the Dollar today so everything coming from Europe is going to be more expensive, and rumors of major price hikes coming from China just might put new Bachmann sets right up in the same territory. Waiting till after the Olympics to see what shakes down.
Vic, I hear what you are saying. I don't think the price is unreasonable considering the current economic situation. I just think a lot more people are willing to try something new at $200 than they would be at $350. Ralph

Wendell,
definately ex-MDC sourced rolling stock, down to the 1/24 scale narrow-gauge caboose.

Tim I noticed that too.

So for $350 bucks we will get a 1/29 engine, a 1/32 boxcar, and a 1/24 caboose, it like LGB never left!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can go anywhere and get a Bachmann set at half the price.

Trivia,

And if you add in a new loop of track that is outdoor friendly and a power supply that has power for some lights on cars or another loco, how much would a person save the?
Oh, I wonder if quality still means anything?

Just wondering.