Large Scale Central

LGB Mogul

I bought a used LGB Mogul in an online auction a month or so ago. I never really liked the LGB tenders, so when I saw a pair of Bachmann tenders up for auction a few weeks later, I bid on them. Today I decided to run the LGB locomotive with one of the Bachmann tenders I won in the auction. I know this may be an abomination to some folks, but I think they look good together.

The LGB Mogul doesnt have sound nor MTS, all it has is smoke and a headlight. It runs just fine without a “proper” LGB tender. So, some rainy day, I need to open up the LGB tender and figure out what the locomotive cable actually plugs into the tender for. I suspect its just for the back up light. I also want to add power pick ups to the Bachmann tender and I also would like to eventually add sound to this unlikely pair.

very nice looking locomotive Dave.

The tender looks just fine on that LGB Mogul.

I don’t like the LGB tender either

Bill

Looks good to me!

The LGB tender also has extra track pick ups.

Looks just fine to me.

Tony is right, David. The LGB tender has two axles with power pickup. Maybe you could put the LGB trucks on the Bachmann tender to simplify adding power pickups. I don’t know how that would affect the looks of the tender, though.

I agree that it looks good.

Bill

looks great.

There are 3 wires from the LGB loco to the tender for power, the other 3 were for the sound unit chuff).

They tender light can be turned off by the switch in the engine.

So, there is track power on 2 wires and a 5 volt light wire from the engine whose other side is tied to one of the rails.

LGB tenders dis have power pickups on the front and rear axles and the jack on the rear of the lgb tender was power to light up passenger cars, or for the sound car (there were both steam and diesel sound cars).

David… So who’s rivet counting… It looks just fine…

And there IS a great deal more room in the Bachmann tenders…

How can you live with yourself and that abomination of a mogul!
The right thing to do is send it to me so it can live out the remainder of its life here on a railway where nothing matters or makes sense.

I have to concede that there is a certain elegance about the set-up .

Rather nice .

Mike Brit

Dan this mogul didn’t come with sound. So are you saying that there is still a chuff sensor in the locomotive?

Yes guys, I know that my other Moguls have power pick ups in the tender, but I didn’t check this one to see if this one does. It is an older model, or at least a stripped down model. So I don’t expect it to have all the add ons like power winders and an 8 track tape player.

Stan, I don’t count rivets. That partly why I build rolling stock from wood, no rivets, only nuts and bolts.

Vincent, if the price is right. :wink: Just kidding.

Thanks Guys. I think the combination looks good too. Now it just needs the wiring hashed out and some sound added to it.

The only LGB mogul without tender power pickups is the oil tender with the 5 pin connector which is the same tender offered on the 2-4-0 (20230/20232 engines)

If the tender has a 3 or 5 pin connector, definitly no chuff sensor, and if the mogul was made without sound, no sensor even though the cable was 6 pin.

Interesting that the LGB complete mogul motor block part had the chuff sensor and cable.

Dan, I took a look at the Mogul today. It has only 3 wires going back to the tender. The tender also has pick ups on the trucks. So that means the 3 wires are; 2 power pick up feeds and a wire for the back up light. It should be a breeze to add that stuff to a Bachamnn tender. Now for adding a chuff sensor to bring the Bachmann chuff board to life, that may take a bit more work.

Yes, I know the Bachmann chuff board is crud. But it is some sound, and its already paid for. :wink:

Nice combo.

I think they look really good together.

Thanks Matti, so do I. So the next step is to sort out the wiring so they can work together electrically.

Dave, that’s inspiring and looks good.