Large Scale Central

LGB made two different 30 degree switches

I was looking on eBay just a short time ago and I see two different LGB 30 degree switches, one with long points back to the frog and one with short points like the ones the 22.5 switches have. I’m assuming the short points on the 30 degree switches are of a much older style, is this correct, or not. Also the tie pattern is different on the two smaller switches.

trainman

yes you are correct the short ones are older, probably changed for expense reasons

Bill Barnwell said:

yes you are correct the short ones are older, probably changed for expense reasons

Thanks,

Well they must really be old (short points) as I purchased some new back 23 years ago and they are the long points. Question if you know the reason for that plastic part that covers the switch throw bar what does it do, it doesn’t stop the throw bar from coming out from between the rails, the rail hold it in place.

trainman

John, he short ones that I have are from 1979 + and can’t remember when they changed, as for the plastic part it’s supposed to keep large trash out and over the years found that they are not necessary and th switch is easier to clean without, Bill

the first long ones that i bought must be from 1983 or 4.

might have to do with the selling of LGB-track for the first playmobil trains.

the longer ones might be harder to destroy by playing kids.

the non-funktional cover might be, because the 1:1 scale railroads in Germany have (or had) the throwbars covered in this way.

Korm Kormsen said:

the first long ones that i bought must be from 1983 or 4.

might have to do with the selling of LGB-track for the first playmobil trains.

the longer ones might be harder to destroy by playing kids.

the non-funktional cover might be, because the 1:1 scale railroads in Germany have (or had) the throwbars covered in this way.

Thanks, I think I will remove the non-functional covers on my switches, it just looks more American without it. The thought did come to mind that the cover might be there to protect the points form being stepped on by someone walking in the garden railroad.

trainman