Large Scale Central

LGB/Aster K-28

When I was young and foolish, and just starting in large scale, I bought an LGB/Aster 20831 K-28. I believe it was number 40 out of the 500 made (if it matters; I am writing from memory and at my office, so I can clarify that if anyone really cares). As a lover of the Durango & Silverton and Cumbres & Toltec, I had to have it. It’s only been out fo the box on a few occasions, never outside, only running on rollers or on a short straight layout on the floor. Probably only 2 hours total run time on it. As far as I know, all the stuff is with it - tools, etc.

Now that I am actually building my railroad, it doesn’t really fit my theme/collection of roads local to me. And of course scalewise it doesn’t work with what I am doing. It’s too nice to sit in the wooden box collecting dust, so if anyone is looking for one, it’s now for sale. I even have the original cardboard box and shipping peanuts!

I’m not trying to make a killing off of the “demise” of LGB and the alleged “collectible” value, if any - but I don’t really want to take much of a loss, if any, either. I paid $4995 plus tax (have the receipt, too!); make me an offer and let’s get this thing on someones layout.

Jackson

Jackson, If I only had some spare $$$ I would be the first to buy this one from you, this engine is the best machine ever made for large scale (electric that is) and unlikely to be matched in the future now that LGB and Aster have gone apart. I have one of them and I would not mind another one or two;-))) Actually, I would advice you to think again about selling it… Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Well, Zubi, you advised me not to sell - and I haven’t, mostly because no one has offered to buy it! You are right - it is a nice locomotive, but I would rather have an Alleghany, which will come from part of the sale proceeds should I find a buyer. I will be in Colorado at the end of the month, but will be leaving Denver before the garden Railway convention really gets underway, or I would take it to Denver and try to sell it there!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where else to post items for sale? I really do not want to try to sell this on Ebay.

you might want to put an ad under the ad section here - may cath more peoples attention. Wish I had the funds, I would love to have one.

Bringing this thread back from the dead - definitely need to sell LGB/Aster K-28 now. In original wooden crate, probably operated for a couple hours total the whole time I have owned it, mostly on rollers. Divorced, no yard, all my other track, locos, cars sold off, so it’s a sad sight in the box in the attic, all alone. Someone needs to run it. Make me an offer, we will work out shipping/delivery once we agree on a price. Thanks.

1 Like

Put it up on Ebay. Let the collectors bid on it.

Those are gorgeous locomotives. Best of luck on the sale. And welcome back!

Well I had to look that loco up cause I may have seen one but not familiar. Honestly it is a gorgeous model and I don’t even like steam!

Jackson, I’m agreeing with John. There are serious collectors out there who’d pay top dollar, and that’s what your rare and beautiful loco deserves.