Large Scale Central

LGB & Aristo ties

As I rebuild the Post Oak & Otter Lake I find that some LGB track that was purchased used 5 years ago needs new ties. I was thinking of using Aristocraft tie strips to replace them. Has anyone done this?

I have not done it but as long as the rails are the same size. I would image since both are code 332 it should be the same. I dont see why it would not work. The biggest difference is you wont be able to screw the aristo ties in on the bottom of the LGB rails.

I use and mix Aristo and LGB track. The rails fit easily in either brands ties. I pull the screws out of most of the Aristo track, anyway. It allows the rail to expand and contract and also is a pain to put back if you’ve removed the rail for bending to need. Most of my track was in place before the introduction of the dual rail benders.

And your dish of cast-off tie screws was handy when my Mallet lost a screw :wink:

Tom Ruby said:
And your dish of cast-off tie screws was handy when my Mallet lost a screw ;)
Those are also the screws that are used with modifications to the Ten Mille Ground Throws, when attaching them to LGB 1600 turnouts.
Ric Golding said:
I use and mix Aristo and LGB track. The rails fit easily in either brands ties. I pull the screws out of most of the Aristo track, anyway. It allows the rail to expand and contract and also is a pain to put back if you've removed the rail for bending to need. Most of my track was in place before the introduction of the dual rail benders.
Agreed....The LGB is brown where the Aristo is black and no screws here either... I need one of those Lil Rail bender's for repairs and adjustments

“I need one of those Lil Rail bender’s for repairs and adjustments”

The new two rail benders, where the rail does not have to be taken out of the tie plates to bend, would certianly be worth the money. I believe RLD Hobbies has a spin off of the Aristo Bender that is a “hands down” better deal. It is built in a local custom machine shop and of very high quality.

RLD’s is similair to Train-Li’s railbender… Cheaper, too… I haven’t seen Aristo’s…

I guess the Train-Li was the one I meant. Whatever it was we saw in Springfield.