Large Scale Central

LGB 27630 WP&Y Switcher Engine

I have a crazy desire to buy small switcher style locomotives, I didn’t really need anymore but I couldn’t pass up the current sale that Trainworld has on this LGB 27630. It was only $159 while supply lasts.

Who am I to pass up a bargain!?

First let me say that I own a bunch of older LGB product and have been very pleased with every item I own, I have not purchased anything new from LGB in 8-years.

This LGB locomotive is built in Hungary and from my first test run and overall observations its every bit as good as the former made in Germany product.

Motor runs smooth and quiet, paint is very sharp and the locomotive came with knuckle couplers already installed.

All I can say is I am very pleased with this item, and I wont hesitate to buy anything new from LGB should something else catch my eye.

Here are a few pics from my test session:

Oh gee, you keep that up and I may be tempted. Small locomotive are the norm around here. Although it is one of them newfangled, cantankerous, unproven, diesel-lectric thangs.

I’m glad you’re pleased with the new engine, Vincent. It looks sharp. Have you tried pulling more cars? Based on the LGB engines I had, I would expect it to pull at least 2 or 3 easily. I hope you will post more as you check it out more fully.

And David M., those “newfangled, cantankerous, unproven, diesel-lectric thangs” seem to be catching on. Maybe they’re getting the bugs worked out.

I couldn’t pass that price up, either! I agree with Vincent. I was likewise very impressed. I haven’t run it more than just a quick test, though. I was surprised at how little current it actually drew–under 1 amp at full slip.It’s got a traction tire, and has about 1 pound of drawbar pull, with ample room under the hood for more weight if needed, or for batteries, speaker, and control electronics. The build quality is great! Later this fall, mine will get new paint, and a Zimo decoder with Airwire “Convertr” receiver. It will make a very worthy sister to the Tuscarora Timber Co’s M-1.

The model is purportedly 1:22, though I haven’t had a chance to compare its dimensions to those of the prototype at the Colorado RR museum yet. (And I can’t find measured drawings of the prototype.) However, I did find measured drawings of the White Pass & Yukon #3, which was a plymouth diesel very similar except no siderods and a very steam-loco-esque sand dome (?) on the hood. It scales out almost perfectly for this loco in 1:20.3.

David, don’t worry. It’s got siderods and a very tall exhaust stack. It’s a wannabe steam loco, so it’s okay in my book!

FYI, they also have the 0-4-0 Porter tank engines on sale for $139, I believe. I thought about getting one of those instead, especially since the EBT’s Rockhill Furnace operation had one they used as a switcher for their ore cars. For some reason, though, I’ve had the chance to buy that 0-4-0 a few times for great prices, and I’ve passed it up every time. Maybe I’ll go back and check to see if they still have some left.

Later,

K

Acceptable as a substitute for steam power only if manufactured by ALCo. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

The box car my locomotive is hauling in the pic’s is a Accucraft 1:20 scale, can’t say for certain what scale the LGB engine is but I think it looks perfect with my Accucraft cars.

Hmmm… wonder if I could bash two of these together and make my own 45T side rod diesel that will actually work… unlike the other one I had…

Vincent, see Mike Toney’s post in the For Sale section. He’s got an LGB diesel for a great price:

The trucks on that are great kitbash fodder.

Later,

K

Kevin Strong said:

I couldn’t pass that price up, either! I agree with Vincent. I was likewise very impressed. I haven’t run it more than just a quick test, though. I was surprised at how little current it actually drew–under 1 amp at full slip.It’s got a traction tire, and has about 1 pound of drawbar pull, with ample room under the hood for more weight if needed, or for batteries, speaker, and control electronics. The build quality is great! Later this fall, mine will get new paint, and a Zimo decoder with Airwire “Convertr” receiver. It will make a very worthy sister to the Tuscarora Timber Co’s M-1.

The model is purportedly 1:22, though I haven’t had a chance to compare its dimensions to those of the prototype at the Colorado RR museum yet. (And I can’t find measured drawings of the prototype.) However, I did find measured drawings of the White Pass & Yukon #3, which was a plymouth diesel very similar except no siderods and a very steam-loco-esque sand dome (?) on the hood. It scales out almost perfectly for this loco in 1:20.3.

David, don’t worry. It’s got siderods and a very tall exhaust stack. It’s a wannabe steam loco, so it’s okay in my book!

FYI, they also have the 0-4-0 Porter tank engines on sale for $139, I believe. I thought about getting one of those instead, especially since the EBT’s Rockhill Furnace operation had one they used as a switcher for their ore cars. For some reason, though, I’ve had the chance to buy that 0-4-0 a few times for great prices, and I’ve passed it up every time. Maybe I’ll go back and check to see if they still have some left.

Later,

K

Kevin, I already have more Porters then I need. I sold one, and then used the money to buy another set at auction. A Porter with 2 small coaches, track and LGB transformer. What I am waiting for is the Olamana.

Bill, I dunno about them working out the bugs. Smokey tells it its just good advertising, thats why they are catching on.

The newer LGB switcher diesels are lighter than the older 2063 (had lead weights which are now outlawed) and do not pull quite as well, my lead weighted 2063 D&RG #50 will pull 10 cars with metal wheels.

I did make a change on mine as the traction tire is on the wheel further from the slider. I flipped the axles end to end and now the engine runs much smoother over switches and crossovers. I have done this to over 10 of these engines for people.

I had a chance to measure the prototype #50 at the Colorado RR Museum today. It is a deceptively large locomotive. It’s 8’ wide by 19’ 1" over the frame. The cab is 6’ 6" from the deck to the roofline. The LGB loco is 4 3/16" wide by 10 1/8" long, and the cab is 3 1/2" from the deck to the roofline. That scales pretty close to 1:22.5 across the board to the prototype.

Later,

K

Dan, maybe you could buy some lead shot (buckshot) at your local gun store. A small zip lock bag of that, tucked inside the locomotive, might help with its pulling power.

David Maynard said:

Dan, maybe you could buy some lead shot (buckshot) at your local gun store. A small zip lock bag of that, tucked inside the locomotive, might help with its pulling power.

I bought 20 pounds of bird shot (smaller shot = smaller voids, thus less wasted space) at a gun shop that offers reload supplies. Get it now, steel shot will soon replace it.

One trick I read about, haven’t tried, is to use aluminum foil as the shot holder, you can make it conform to small spaces where baggies won’t.

John

John, maybe it was bird shot that bought. I dunno. I explained to the guy what I wanted it for, and that the smaller shot would be better. I think its a 20# bag of the stuff. So between that, and the stick on wheel weights I picked up, I should be set for a long time.