Large Scale Central

LGB 2018D Mogul - Cable From Cab to Tender Kaput

Eric, here are a few pics of the wiring plugs that I made up from a kit. The wiring plug, new drawbar as I did away with the LGB hook coupler as there wasn’t enough room for it and the walk plate between the engine and tender. These were just a few of the updates to the two LGB Moguls that I rebuilt and added Rail Pro.
trainman

Thanks, Trainman! This is definitely the direction I want to take with this mugul, though I am probably going to leave it in its stock livery.

ERic

Should work out just fine doing it that way. I just like to re-due all my engines and rolling stock, it the part of the hobby I like best, being a modeler first and a runner second.
trainman

Hi all, I have a related question, can anyone tell if the 2018D will run WITHOUT a tender. I have an opportunity to acquire one sans tender. I can provide a tender, just not the LGB tender but I don’t want to buy something that would be a shelf queen without the LGB tender. Thanks

Vic,
I know nothing about them but I ask… “Why wouldn’t it”?
The pickups are on the loco correct?

i have one circustrain loco (the white one), that AFAIK is identic to the 2018.
that runs like any stainz with, or without tender.

Vic,

Yes, it will work. All six drivers and a pair of shies feed the motor. All the electronics, suck as they are, are in the boiler. The tender just adds more pickup points.

I did note that without the tender, ours will stall on dirty and worn turn-outs.

-Eric

Great! Thanks, I wasn’t sure. My Piko Mogul had wiring that had to be connected thru the tender. I had to disassemble the loco and reroute the wiring. Don’t want to do that again. Thanks again.

The LGB Moguls will operate by themselves without a tender attached. But why is it best to have an opeating tender? Because the tender provides two more track pickup points that supplement the power from the Mogul’s wheels and slider shoes. So, there are three track pick up points on the Mogul, front and rear wheels and sliders, but one of these wheels also has a traction tire on it which prevents reliable track power pickup on that wheel. So the Mogul has effectively three points on one side, and two on the other. And if the traction tire is on the rear wheel, then there’s very little distance between that front wheel and the slider, so going over dirty track sections, weak rail joiners and plastic track frogs all cause track power pickup problems if the tender is not connected to the Mogul. And, of course, many of the older sound Moguls have th Sound Board in the tender and if the cable isn’t connect to the tender from the Mogul, the the sound board will not receive the chuff pulses from the Moguls’ Pulse Generator…so no chuff sounds.