Large Scale Central

Leona Timber Co. Build Log - 2017 Plan & Prep

Chris Kieffer said:

Most definitely NOT an Amtrak fan! Will only be a fan of the fire breathing steamers!

Let the child chose his own way !

Rooster, it takes a special sort to be an Amtrak fan. I understand, because it also takes a special sort to be a Penn Central fan like me.

While waiting for the grass to grow (literally) I have started for formalize my track plan. First up was to measure out the area for my empire. I decided I wanted a minimum of 6 foot from the property lines, 8 foot from the house and 10 foot from the shed. I plan to build a work bench on the layout side of the shed, so I allowed extra clearance in that area. Drew the whole thing up in Sketchup.

Next, using AnyRail I laid out the area and then put in the track that would represent the extents of the layout. This is by far my plan, it just allows me to visualize the area I have to work in. Minimum radius is 60", most curves are shown at 72" and the one around the tree is 96"

Next up is to start making adjustments to the plan and adding in the details to come up with something I like.

Thanks,

Chris

Time for a quick update.

Finally got the garden bed completely removed and planted back to grass. It is growing nicely now.

Grandson helped me plant it. At one point he had the spreader backwards and ended up with grass seed in his shorts.

Have the remains of this old shrub to burn out. It has dried out enough now for me to do.

Also, filling a settled spot in the yard where the septic tank used to be. Right now it is filled with decayed mulch from the front garden bed. I will let that decay down more and then pack it in and place soil over the top.

Lately I have been out with stakes, marking the outer boundary of the layout. This has really helped me out as some of the dimensions I had on paper didn’t really suit me in the yard. I have a few more to put in, then I’m going to run a line around it about the height of the bench work. Going to leave it like that for a while and spend some time walking around it, driving the mower around it, and sitting next to it to see how it interacts with my other yard routines.

More to come,

Chris

The poor kid was confused as the seeder does say WIZZ!

Working on finalizing my track plan. I decided to go away from the traditional loop as that is just not what I prefer to do with my RR. All trains will originate and terminate at the main yard in the lower left of the plan. The track on the upper part will be more mountainous and make a climb to summit (wye location) before beginning it’s decent back to meet the lower line at the loop in the lower right. Future expansion will take off from that wye. Here is a sketch of the basic plan, feel free to make CONSTRUCTIVE comments and suggestions. I have a PDF if anyone wants me to send it to them. Remember this is an elevated RR, so reaching to the center is something I have to consider. North is to the bottom of the screen

I really like this.

Since your yard is doing double duty as start and end of your run, why not connect those two stubs off the yard to make a continuous loop when you want to run trains, and relax with adult beverages and conversation at the same time? You can stack bricks on it, when you just went to operate.

Those two are farther away that it appears. Someday I will expand out off the lower right one. I might make a removable section to do what you are saying though.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Kieffer said:

Those two are farther away that it appears. Someday I will expand out off the lower right one. I might make a removable section to do what you are saying though.

Thanks,

Chris

Go underground a tunnel with some hatches every so often … That would be a challenge going from above to below… never mind to hard …

It’s not much, but it will be low to mid 60’s tomorrow so I’m going out to trim the low tree branches that will be in the RR’s way. Guess it is a start.

Chris

Fingers crossed I don’t get nailed for grummar or spullin ears.

Sounds like you layout is progressing as fast as mine is , Chris. I have to remove about 15 feet of the block wall I have had up so they guys can get our new A/C unit in place in a couple of weeks, so a little of backwards progress for me. gud louck wif tha tree trimming job. Spelling Ins grammar arrr weigh over wrated.

I got the trees done. Looks like I might of been within a couple of weeks of being to late. A few of the branches looked like they would be showing buds soon. Anyway, the head knockers are out of the way of the layout. Now I can go back to staring out the window this week as Winter is returning.

Starting to collect materials for my RR’s bench work. I figured I had better come up with a plan of how this will work out, so I’m not wasting an excessive amount of wood. To start with, the layout will be built on concrete deck blocks instead of concreted into the ground. I’m doing this to allow for easy “adjustments” as well as letting the layout float with the frost heave. General width of the sections is 6 foot to allow me to run tracks down both sides. Layout height will average 36" with variations due to grade changes. Legs are 4x4s, beams are 2x6 and joists are 2x4 spaced at 16". Track will be build on risers above this bench to set final rail grade.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Looks like a good plan. What are you going to use for the finish on the top, plywood deck or dirt and gravel? Looks like what, 6’ X 14’ , 184 sq ft, that’s a lot of weight.

How are your 2 x 6 beams going to fasten to your posts? If just screws you may want to consider notching them into the 4 x 4’s so they have a solid seat, screws only will allow sag over time. At least that has been my experience.

I would think you could get away with about half as many diagonal braces as your drawing shows and run a couple the other direction.

Just my thoughts.

Rick

You could start building some of your bench work in sections ( light enough to carry ) and connect them when you have your ground work complete.

Rick,

The section shown is 6 x 14 which is the largest of them. I will be using hardware cloth to form up the terrain, and then use various overcoats depending on what i’m needing.

I’m planning to use bolts or ready rod to hold the beams to the rails. Either 3 that are 1/2", or 2 that are 3/4" that will run from one beam to the other. I’m not committed to the diagonals yet. My other option is to put a double beam in the center, and drop legs with staggered spacing to the outer ones.

Sean,

Right now that is my plan for the rectangular sections. I’m going to attempt that with the first two sections that form an L and see what happens.

Thanks,

Chris

Wow, usually I see a structure that needs a few additions, how ever unless you are going to make a shelf there, I think all the salmon colored framing at the pier level can be eliminated and you only need diagonals at the legs.

So now, the most important question raises it’s head…

is it done yet?