Large Scale Central

LED vs. incandescent light bulb

-When illuminating structure interiors, do you prefer using incandescent light bulbs or LEDs? I’ve only used incandescent bulbs to illuminate interiors but I’ve seen a lot of great stuff being done with LEDs, and LEDs are cheaper and easier to locate online than incandescent bulbs.

-Follow up: Does anyone know a good “LEDs for idiots” reference?

-Follow up to the follow up: Does anyone know the size bulb used in the Model Power/LGB series of lanterns? I have No. 977, 3 Gooseneck wall lights, and 2/3 bulbs are dead. I have no idea the size of the bulb or where I can locate replacements?

I don’t know the size of those MP/LGB lanterns, but I have LEDs which require no resistors which can screw into 10 mm bases and also some which screw into 5mm bases. The small ones can go into Charles Ro passenger cars, and the 10 mm ones fit into a lot of Lionel accessories.

For battery and DCC operation I find it easy to wire LEDS in series.

20ma leds give off lots of light and are approx. 3 volts each.

So, for a 24 volt system I can wire 7 in series and then a cl2 to limit the current to 20ma.

For houses you can wire each one with 3 leds in series with a cl2 on a 12 volt DC source.

A great source of DC power would be a discarded power pack from a laptop that no longer works.

And many are over 16 volts so you can have 5 leds in series.

Dell has 19 volts at over 4 amps so one could have over 100 led light strings active. 20ma gives 50 light strings for each amp.

i use incandescent bulbs from christmas decoration chains.

by hooking on one more or one less i can regulate the brightness, without having to know about resistors and such.

for power i use PC-powerpacks, telefone transformers, and H0 powerpacks.

Jay Briscoe said:

-Follow up: Does anyone know a good “LEDs for idiots” reference?

Jay - these articles on LEDs may help you get a handle on using them.

dave

LED Related Articles:

I think it depends of the effect you want. I wire incandescents to run at around 1/2 or so of their rated voltage when I want the look of oil lantern light. They glow with a nice orange light, and will last nearly forever running that far below their rated voltage. For a brighter light, warm whites LEDs would be a better choice in my opinion. They consume less power, give off no heat, and if powered properly will last nearly forever. Bright white LED light looks to me more like florescent lighting. As such I haven’t had the need for such light yet, but I might when it comes time to light my streamline passenger cars.

I haven’t experimented with the newer warm white LED’s in passenger equipment, but I did install old technology white LED’s in a Bachman combine a long time ago - and also left the bulbs in as an experiment. The LED’s were brighter, but looked more like fluorescent lighting than electric or oil lamps. The older LED’s would be more appropriate n modern commuter equipment.

I might have pics someplace.

Oh, here they are.

Original bulbs with foil on the ceiling…

LED’s and Bulbs together…

I’d add that perhaps it makes a difference where you are needing the light. For my permanent, stationary installations, I began using 14V incandescent bulbs powered by malibu lighting transformers. The transformers are rated for 12V, so the bulbs glowed a slightly orange color and looked good in my buildings.

Since I power my trains from track, I wanted as little drain on my power packs as possible and switched to LEDs as soon as I could. I wire mine in parallel and use a cl2 to limit current. I also put a bridge rectifier in the circuit, so the electricity always goes in the correct direction. There are photos of my circuit boards on this board. A photo actually came up on the “random slide show” at the top of the list.

Using the cl2 eliminates the need for resistors, and also permits a variable number of LED in your consist. I now power five cars with about three or four LEDs per car with a single circuit, using small wires to connect the cars.

Recently I converted a Charles Ro set of cars to LEDs when the owner wanted to use battery power for them. Using screw in E5 LEDs sure sped up the process, although I did have to rewire about one third of the sockets because they were wired “backward” for LEDs.

I’m thinking that now that LEDs are getting cheaper and brighter and with more colors, the benefits of LEDs are growing. Now I’ve got LEDs that are are placements for malibu iight bulbs, and am replacing the four watt bulbs in them as they incandescents burn out.

Stock Aristo lamps below:

Led strips below (better dispersion, tucked up into ceiling so they don’t show through:

Gee Greg, the LED strip one is the effect I want for my dinner train. They look like the bright white LEDs. Are they? Were they purchased strips, or a home brew thing?