Large Scale Central

Latest Narrow Gauge Ops on the IPP&W/RP&M 2016 OVGRS

We are currently back in Carlyle. Another great and successful “Invasion”. The hosts show us a great time and a great feed. No better way to spend the heat of the summer. Thanks to all the participated and attended. It is hard to put in to words the gratitude we feel.

Currently planning for the next “Invasion”. Stealth may be the key word, but Customs always seems to find out about Ken trying to cross the border.

Ric Golding said:

Currently planning for the next “Invasion”. Stealth may be the key word, but Customs always seems to find out about Ken trying to cross the border.

That’s an adventure all in itself…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David…to secure the guardrails to the plastic ties, just use spikes, and pre-drill the holes with a drill bit that is a shade smaller than the spike…that is how all mine are attached…and they have been in place for at least 5 years or more…

There have been many Saturday operations since July 26th, on the IPP&W. There have been a number of work sessions on Wednesday mornings, which improved many feet of track and roadbed…all is well.

Huh. Here I was over thinking it. I guess I was Devoning it. Just predrill some holes, and spike it down.

Ok. Thanks.

David Maynard said:

Huh. Here I was over thinking it. I guess I was Devoning it. Just predrill some holes, and spike it down.

Ok. Thanks.

Empirically obvious to the most casual observer. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

What is?

I guess that makes me, not the casual observer. Hmmm

Steve Featherkile said:

David Maynard said:

Ok. Thanks.

Empirically obvious to the most casual observer. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

I just was thinking I would need more support, the Aristo ties are hollow.

David;

The ties may be hollow, but if you use the correct drill bit, the spikes will have enough friction in the hole, that they stay in. If you use the plain steel spikes, they will rust and not pull out readily.

To keep this topic up to date…here it is, the last Saturday in August, of 2016. We have just enjoyed another GREAT Narrow Gauge operation on the IPP&W. We had a bit smaller crew this morning, due to a train show nearby, and a number of our members taking part with layouts in HO and N scales. We still had a great turnout, and all trains were run and completed.

We also have had two new members join in the fun.

Fred

Just a reminder, Mike Hamer does a fantastic job of detailing the ops sessions each week: http://gardenrailroadottawa.blogspot.ca/

That’s the first time I’ve seen Doug’s daughter, she’s a spitting image of her mom…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yep, that’s Loren. Great cook, Mom and nice family with husband Dare, we’ve been with them a number of times. She does favor her Mom.

The boys are Conner and Owen, very smart little guys and have grown up around the trains. Conner has memorized “pi” to 165 decimals. i had to struggle with how spell it or represent it on this note.

Doug is a proud Grandpa and should be.

Reading Mike’s blog, I am corrected on how far Conner has increased his knowledge. Both interesting young crew members.

Actually it is Owen (the smiley guy on the right) that can run off “pi” to 165 decimals. He also knows the flags for every country in the world.

Conner his younger brother is the camera shy guy on the left.

On grandparents day in 2012, Owen had friends over to run trains on Grampa’s railway.

Kids on Grandparents Day

Owen loves big diesels and likes to haul long strings of modern cars. Being “results oriented” like his grampa, he does have a heavy hand on the throttle and whistle.

Rerailing Owen's train

We had to promise the kids one turn each around the railway after lunch so we could get them to stop to eat. I had to laugh when Owen, who usually runs trains at Lionel speeds, tie crawled his train in order to make his turn last as long as possible. After reversing directions a few times at the other end of the railway, I let Grandpa know what was going on. He sent Loren down to explain to Owen that others were anxiously waiting their turn.

Yep, when you said it Paul, I realized I had the names reversed. Grandpa is “results oriented”? Who’d a thunk?

We always hear that the youth aren’t interested, but if you give them a throttle - the interest is sparked.

Ric Golding said:

We are currently back in Carlyle. Another great and successful “Invasion”. The hosts show us a great time and a great feed. No better way to spend the heat of the summer. Thanks to all the participated and attended. It is hard to put in to words the gratitude we feel.

Glad your trip was good. Its too bad you did not get a chance to hit the Steam Up in the Newark Valley (Ron Brown memorial Steam up). Would have been great to see ya. Did you get to hit the campground by me?

Fred Mills said:

To keep this topic up to date…here it is, the last Saturday in August, of 2016. We have just enjoyed another GREAT Narrow Gauge operation on the IPP&W. We had a bit smaller crew this morning, due to a train show nearby, and a number of our members taking part with layouts in HO and N scales. We still had a great turnout, and all trains were run and completed.

We also have had two new members join in the fun.

Fred

Thanks for putting us on your list. Great photos. N & J

…September 10th, is past now, but the IPP&W/RP&M operation went well. We were hit with a lot of rain on Saturday night, but Today, Sunday, has been giving us great sunshine and pleasant temperatures. No damage occurred to the general area, but along Lake ontario, South of us, they experienced major storm cells, and water spouts.

Next Saturday is a standard gauge operation, as we alternate week to week…

I hope more people take the opportunity to join The Clarks, for their coming operating day, next weekend…it looks like a great railroad to operate.

On Saturday, October 15th, 2016 we held our last operation for the year. We had a great turnout of some GREAT people, over the year, and were only rained out twice. (A total of 19 operations for the year)

We look forward to having operations start again next year, aiming at somewhere around the Saturday closest to the 24th of May, as we always do.

Our Early Christmas get-to-gether will be on December 10th.

Fred Mills