Large Scale Central

Lassen Trucking Advert

Very interesting! Nice work, too!

1 Like

So , Devon (not Devin grandson) has this been lost in transit???:joy::laughing:

Need to update that billboard with a……. Cascadia.

Its definitely devoned

John, NEVER!!! Dont even like the Volvo truck tractors I have from the Kramer kits I bought

Maybe Tesla? Watching the video of it climbing Donner Pass was amazing.
I mean if everyone is converting their trains to battery, might as well be the road trains too. :see_no_evil:

I really should get back to this. It was going down an interesting road that I would like to pursue. Wireless LEDs. One of the challenges was to build small nano LED billboard lights. Two contenders warranted merit. Wireless LEDs or a suggestion Rooster made to use small brass tubing as the conduit and run a single wire through it for the + lead and use the brass tubing itself as the - lead. It’s in the box of neglected projects.

Why not consider Fiberoptic?
Model train Fiberoptic shop

One light source, running multiple places.

That’s actually a great Idea, I have already been messing with fiber optics and have fiber on hand.

Fiber optic light engine.

Light using end glow fiber

At night

Not sure why I hadn’t thought of this. And using only 1 LED to drive it it would be very conducive to solar/battery operation.

1 Like

Bill as a truck driver for 48 years … no , no, and HELL NO! The untold part of the story with electric trucks . That truck is hauling potato chips, so very light weight load on it, they have a very limited range, maybe 400-500 miles depending on terrain, and their charging stations require diesel generators because several of them charging together use more power than a small city, and the grid cannot handle it. Plus there is a weight penalty for all those batteries to run the truck compared to a normal tractor, so less payload on them to begin with, which means more trucks to handle the cargo left behind due to weight restrictions. Finally , no charging stations yet for public use

It’s good to hear the other side of the story. Sounds like there’s a long way to go.

Pete is prejudice, he lost a bet to Elon Musk and hasn’t gotten over it.

He doesn’t even like John Force. That makes he an unreliable and biased source

I thought Tesla was using their semis to haul batteries n such over Donner pass between factories. Must be fake news.

Tesla has tried to “prove” there trucks can keep up with diesel rigs. Let’s face it string enough batteries together to enough electric motors and yes you can jeep up. What these experiments don’t reveal is how far can they go before needing to be recharged, where do you charge them, and how much physical weight are they hauling. What we have seen is one or two videos of an electric tractor speeding away from a diesel tractor. What we don’t see us that electric tractor pulled over for a few hours to charge while the diesel tractor drives by and delivers its goods hours/days ahead of the electric tractor. It’s not apples to apples. Whats important when it comes to shipping? Whether a tractor can do 80 up a pass for 100 miles or a tractor that can do 60.over the pass but continue for 1000 miles?

Well if i remember correctly reading the interwebs these kids look at all the time, folks rallied against the automobile, the steam train, and of course the diesel locomotive. So we will see.

Several large auto/truck makers are looking very seriously at Hydrogen Fuel Cell power. Quick refueling, little added weight and the only exhaust is water vapor. I think I read that at least one will be ready for market sometime next year.

1 Like

Came across my news feed today. Having lived in the bush, we’ve got a lot of respect for these guys and the skills they have to run a train off road.

one more video for the road?

The only challenge is in passing a road train, as most highways in Oz are 2 lanes, is that you want to see 2km of clear road ahead.

It really gets the heart rate up when you’re halfway into overtaking and traffic suddenly appear on the horizon.

On the other hand Truckies often give you a signal that it’s ok to pass

John, and others a electric truck crashed and caught fire on Donner Pass last week, causing the whole freeway to be closed for 9 hours , due to the toxic fumes from the unable to be put out fire. And the worst part is there was no real detour available. Pure luck it didn’t start a big forest fire .Putting out electric car fires which have happened several times here requires massive amounts of water or taking the burning car and putting it in a dumpster then filling it with sand.

1 Like