Large Scale Central

Large Scale Module Club

I am looking for advise on starting up a Large Scale Module Layout Group! I believe it would be a great way to promote large scale/garden railway in our community. for a start the Indiana Large Scale Railroaders provide the basic standards for each module on their web site (http://indylargescaler.org/). The only changes I would make would be a optional branch track (#3) centred 6 inches from the back.

On the north side of Lake Ontario where I live its all HO & N. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Rob

Direct link to the standards http://indylargescaler.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ModStds.pdf

The big “elephant” is usually transportation - that seemingly applies to most of the modular layouts that I have seen at shows and listened to the answers to questions regarding transportation.
A Larger problem in LS than N.

Something else I notice(d) quite often is the abrupt theme clash between modules - that has improved in recent years and I know quite a few clubs that now ( e.g in the next build) emphasize more common elements.

At last year’s American Invasion, we gathered for a day of Operations at Barry Birkett’s in Belleville, Ontario. I’m pretty certain, we will include his operations in this year’s events. It was a great time with lots of local people participating. It would be a great place to present your ideas and maybe find some guys with your passion. We’ll be talking about the American Invasion as the heat approaches, stayed tuned in these pages. Good Luck with your desires.

Also look into the Sundance Central http://www.sundancecentral.org/

Sorry I missed you at Barry’s, I had to work. I live ten minutes from Barry’s house. I’ve started to build a section in the garage and hope to make a presentation to the guys sometime in April/May. My wife and I are coming down to York for the ECLSTS. If your a the show Friday morning we’ll make sure to come over and introduce yourselves.

Cheers

Robert, currently, the Gateway Garden Railraod club, located in the St Louis, MO area, has a ““traveling layout”” of Modules, that we do semi-local shows around St Louis… The modules are stored in what is called ““bread racks””, and these racks are rolled into a trailer and secured for travel… The trailer is a 28 ft (I believe) enclosed auto carrier with a drop down ramp backdoor…

Of course, with all the modules and scenery in the trailer, it’s about 11,000 lbs… Takes about 4-6 hours to setup, and we are down and trailer loaded in about 2 hours after the show.

Take a look at the website for module/layout pics… www.ggrrc.org

Robert- if you are going to be at the ECLSTS, you might want to stop by the Drag & Brag Friday evening at the Windham Hotel (formerly the Holiday Inn on Loucks Road). There are a bunch of brilliant minds from this site that will be there (I’ll be there, but I’m far from brilliant and have little left of my mind). Perhaps, some of them might share some thoughts and ideas with you.

-Kevin.

Robert Bamlett said:

Sorry I missed you at Barry’s, I had to work. I live ten minutes from Barry’s house. I’ve started to build a section in the garage and hope to make a presentation to the guys sometime in April/May. My wife and I are coming down to York for the ECLSTS. If your a the show Friday morning we’ll make sure to come over and introduce yourselves.

Cheers

There’s usually 6-8 different module groups that set up at the ECLSTS. I’m sure most of them would offer suggestions and/or advise on how to get started.

Robert,

Myself and a number of our club members will be at the ECLSTS the entire time it is open, running our Timesaver Switching Modules. We will be in the “Alcove” (which we are trying to get officially chaged to the “LSC ALCOVE”). Basically, it is between the snack bar and the bathrooms of the layouit hall. Walk in the layout hall, look to the left and see the old original front doors to the building. Snack Bar is on the left, bathrooms are on the right and the Alcove is the bright spot between them. Been there every year, since I think 2000. Lots of the guys that hang out here, think its a pretty safe place.

Look forward to seeing you there. Once again, don’t forget the “Drag and Brag”.

Time to drag out my trusty map…

I’ll be there and I hope to meet you, Robert. I certainly heard your name while at Barry’s. I’ll be glad to tell you about my own experience with setups at shows, and that past and present of COGRA, the Central Ontario Garden Ry Ass’n. Cheers!

Thank you there, Daktah. Your maps are needed. :wink:

Sorry for not getting back earlier but Thank You so much to everyone for the info. I remember the LSC switching module at the ECLSTS last year. We’ll make sure we introduce yourselves this year. We will be there Friday morning and hopefully be able to make the “Drag and Brag.”

This weekend I did get a start on the first of the modules I’m building in the garage. Something I can run trains on in the winter while there is a couple of feet of snow out back. I’ll try and post a couple pictures.

Again thanks for all the info, Cheers,

Rob :slight_smile:

I’ll be hanging around in the “Alcove” with the rest of the bunch. Too bad we didn’t meet up while we were up at Barry’s last summer. And from what I understand, John LeF will be dragging Fred down from his hibernation in Nepean.

Very vice work on the first module Rob, The carpentry looks very clean. Will you be bringing it to ECLSTS? Looking forward to seeing you there.

Robert,
The Pocono Mountain group will be there with our modules, and would be happy to answer any questions you have about modules.

Nico

Egads…another Canadian…we are starting to see life under the snow…there is even a slight, very slight, mind you, trend towards milder temperatures. We might even see part of a day this week with a temperature just a slight nudge above freezing.

I guess I better bring my robes, in order to be dressed properly to “Anoint” properly another possible candidate for the Branch Railroadians.

I hope to see you at the Show, Robert. No mater what Barry has told you; we are friendly in Ottawa, and are not part of the “Gang on the Hill”…!!! Do try to get to the Drag & Brag…you should NOT miss it…one of the better reasons for staying at the Wyndham (Holiday Inn)

Fr.Fred

No to worry Barry had nothing but nice things to say about “the boys on the hill” and Fred you don’t have to dress-up on my account. Pants will be fine!

Last year Julie and I stayed at the Best Western up the street but this year we booked a B&B in Red Lion south of York.

Robert,

Just to make sure it is stated - The Drag and Brag is open to everyone. Nobody cares what hotel you are staying or even if you live locally and just drive over.

Rob, somehow we missed each other at the ECLSTS this year.

Fred and I were there the whole time, but somehow I didn’t make contact with you.

Invitation: I’m holding my annual open house on the 17th, 1-4 pm. Perhaps you already know about it; it was announced in the last couple of issues of the Backyard Railroaders Newsletter (backyardrailroaders.com) - I’m not sure offhand whether you are a member - Barry is, btw. Many Backyard RR Club members will be there.

If you can get to Toronto you’ll be most welcome. There will be a mini swap meet as well. Bring your module info if you can…

Oh, and Korm: Thanks for sponsoring this forum! Cheers!