I have been off the train forums for a while mainly due to mainly work and car projects (I may post if interest). I have been very slowly been getting back into the railroading groove, mostly by buying new Locomotives and Rolling Stock with no-where to run them :).
Some of you may remember some photos of the ‘old’ layout, most of trackwork and switches were hand spiked on wooden ties.
The outdoors took its toll and some garden landscaping meant track had to be lifted. I found that while the wooden ties looked fantastic, they were not really suitable for our British wet climate. Once the track got lifted, it basically disintegrated :(. I made the decision to rebuild with commercially made track and switches and do the expansion I always wanted.
Fast forward to 2017, the basic groundworks are mostly done. I need to order up another bulk bag of ballast before I can start re-laying the track. I could not resist placing the track, just to see how it will look:
This is the main circle of track, off the photo is sidings and dual gauge interchange, the raised track along back is the expansion to top of garden
Gentle climb to top:
Top of garden with new terminus, undecided on layout of track. White trim has now been painted