Large Scale Central

Lady Luck beats the Gremlins

i’m not a very religious man. but today i had to think about an old prayer, that says (translated) :

give me the strength to change, what can be changed, the patience to endure, what can’t be changed - and the wisdom to recognize, what is what.

everybody, my wife included, thought me crazy for having seven big fire extinuishers standing around everywhere.

while i was sitting contently and surfing the net, i heard some loud cracks. trying to locate the source is not easy, wearing hearing-aids.
but eventually sparks raining from the ceiling told me, where the sounds came from.
near the fire division wall, where the main cables cross from my hobby-room into the house and for the main fuses, the wooden ceiling was burning.
called the fire dept. , told my wife to cut the switches at the meter at the street.
put up a ladder, climbed up with an BC - CO² extinguisher and started to cool down the ceiling.
when that was empty, my wife had the next one ready. so i sprayed on. seemingly with little effect.
the flames got smaller, when hit, but recovered quickly. (ambient temperature at that time was well over 100F/40C)
so i had to change tactic. some pieces of burnt ceiling bords were falling.
i took an extinguisher with ABC powder
(i must say, i don’t like the powder extinguishers. they are so messy)
when that extinguisher was empty, there was just a little bit smoke left, a hole in the ceiling and the whole house full of yellowish dust. and the first firetruck arrived.
that was 13 minutes after the call to the fire-dept. (what is good enouh for volunteers to first reach the firehouse, then dress up and arrive on site.
three men and a woman, no officers.
i told them, which corrugated roof-sheets to rip up to control the scene from above.
Lady Luck: they decided, that arriving quick is more important than to wait for superiors. and, as their former commander, they had no problems to follow my orders.
as it turned out, i was extremly lucky. the CO² i sprayed at the ceiling entered through a vent to the other side of the “fire division wall” cooled and suffocated the burning styrofoam insulation.

sawing off the blackened parts of the ceiling, fastening the burnt corrugated sheets, covering everything with a tarpaulin - and about 40 minutes after the alert, 8 firefighters went back to the firehouse.
but not before the actual firechief had teased me, that i had founded the fire dept. only to protect my own house. i’m afraid, that at he next board meeting i will get a lot more teasing.

power company sent me a tecnican, who separated the lines of house and supermarket, so that i now have laid extension cords to the fridge and the computer.

the good: i don’t have to sleep in a tent tonight. only in a dirty bed.
the bad: we’ll have the house full of workers to repair everything.
the ugly: not only the furniture, but hundreds of my figures for the layout are now covered in yellow dust.

the funny: my wife already mentioned two more places, where an extinguisher might be handy…

why did i write this?
the pretext, is to warn you people to have enough extinguishers at home. the first 15 minutes of a fire situation decide the extent of the damage.

but in truth, my wife sleeps comfortably with air condition in the house of her sister and i am just so full of adrealine, that i have to tell about it.

the dates in the pics are compliment to a broken camera. they were taken sunday okt 6 of 24

So glad to hear you’re both safe and the house survived.

Glad you were prepared Korm. And the knowledge to know how to use the extinguishers ahead of time helps.

being prepared…

one never is prepared enough.
standing two yards high on the ladder with bare head, on flip-flops, with short sleeves and no breathing protection, but a hankerchief fighting a fire overhead teached me some things.

but my protective gear was nicely stored in a box in the attic.

the most uncomfortable thing i learned - neither the lungs, nor the muscles of an old man are suited for action any more.
the other uncomfortable thing - with two hearing aids equilibration becomes a concious effort.

i was just extremely lucky. but i think i should change my post in the “what are you doing, when not modeling” thread into: cleaning all the junk i gathered over the years in my cave.

3 Likes

Glad you are okay. This is always a fear of mine. I have extinguishers in the house and the garage, they are on the verge of needing recharge. I might add another next to my workspace in the garage and another one in the bedroom. Hope repairs are done quickly :open_mouth:

i’ve got an understanding with a guy, who has the necessary equipment in a van and comes each january (or when needed) to control or recharge the extinguishers. i’ve got seven of the size of about two gallons. (update: i did not empty two of the CO² types, but three. i was acting, not counting)
i expect to have all extinguishers refilled before the weekend.

this is the place for a Hurray of rural life!
or for better be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big pond.

as i’m writing, the electricians (two companies cooperating) have laid a 60 meter/yards new 3 phase line from meter to the fuse-panel, just now testing, if everything works. the power company will start in two hours to renovate the meter, its fuses and the feeder.
the company that builds and maintains our houses for renting come in the afternoon to bury the new powercable and repair the roof. only the repair of the ceiling has to wait till tomorrow.
as mentioned, the advantage to live, where everybody knows each other.
they all treat you as you have treated them. :grin:

1 Like

Just WOW!

We have the little ones at the garage and back door to the workroom, but…

Certainly a wiring fire is a rarity!

Korm;
Sorry to hear about the fire and I am glad you, and yours, are okay.
My house burned down April 11th and we lost quite a lot. Though an extinguisher in my case would not have helped, having one and a plan is important. Mine was started by lightning at 4:00am in the morning outside of my house in a tree next door. We never heard it and was only awakened by a school janitor who saw the tree in flames two blocks away!
This is why I cruise train websites in a temporary home waiting for my house to be rebuilt. No place for choo-choo’s here and dreaming of a garden railroad.
You folks stay safe out there!

-Deneh

not down here.
extreme temperatures, cheap materials, often in experienced “craftsmen”
as i often found out, what strikes us down are not the things, we prepped for - only those we think they’ll never happen.

oh, yes that is the ace of spades of things, that can happen.
that’s a force, no prepping can really compete with.
i hope for you, that you were insured.

we were really lucky.
at home, when it started, insured, quick attending craftsmen.
the roofers are hammering dwn the last sheet, only the poor guys that must bury the cable are still working at full, digging a trench in bone-dry, stone-hard clay.
our biggest “loss” ill be to have to clean a lot of things.

Very sorry to hear all that, and see some of it, Bruce. How devastating!
It seems like you’re handling it all very well, though.

And I’m glad you joined our little community here, and it will be great seeing how you re-engage the hobby, when the time comes.

1 Like

As others have said Korm, I’m so glad that you and your wife handled things quickly and superbly, without injury or immense loss.

Didn’t know you were a fire chief, wow! And of course your former subordinates will tease you, haha!!

And while I know it’s not the priority, it would have been so sad to see any damage to your amazing layout, phew!

well i am happy to repeat myself: we were very lucky!

but that layout is nearly complete destroyed! but not from fire, but by intentional handiwork.

1 Like

I was well insured

Deneh

the aftermath

the craftsmen are writing their bills,
we are all hands on deck - dusting off everything.

… and something entered my head and does not go away:

Go,
Now,
And play the lottery.

Also
As a former volenteer smoke eater…respect.

i love that expression!

mi tiempo

translation: my time and my money is what saves you

2 Likes

Korm,

I just want to echo others’ gratitude for your safety!

Eric

1 Like

I’m a little late getting caught up on threads. Glad you were able to contain the fire before it got out of hand.

I’ve only had one experience with dry-chem extinguishers. When I was a boy my mother had an oven fire. The volunteers emptied a big dry-chem in the oven. We were vacuuming up dust for months!

Your story reminds me that I need to purchase some more extinguishers. I also like those new fire blankets they sell. They seem to work well on kitchen and bbq grill fires.

Our old house, built after the war, had a hollow kitchen cabinet that acted as a guide to funnel all stove particulates to the ceiling. A perfect medium rare steak could be set by the smoke alarm in the hallway.

No fires but 2 fire extinguishers and a blanket were always at the ready.