Large Scale Central

Labelle Plastic Lube $510.72 per quart! Or?

That price is possible because cost-aware Walthers has LaBelle on sale at 7.98 vs. the regular price of 9.29.

OR…

Try SYNPower by Valvoline
Full Synthetic
75W-90 gear oil
$8.00 per quart
Refill your LaBelle 1/2 ounce “squeeze” containers.

Save money with a quart-size of Valvoline?
That’s 64 1/2 ounce fillings in a quart of SYNPower
The cost for SYN Power per 1/2 ounce is 12.5 cents
The cost for LaBelle per 1/2 ounce is 7.98 (wow!)

I called Valvoline and affirmed plastic compatibility. The conversation was punctuated by vocal blast of “What! a company is actually selling 1/2 ounces of oil at 8 bucks a squeeze bottle!”

Hmmmm.

Thanks Wendell. You just let them in on a money maker. Thanks.

My guess is Valvoline won’t package 1/2 ounce containers to compete with LaBelle – considering the obvious alternative that is known by the hobby customer base. Who else would previously pay that amount of money for such a small amount of product?

Here’s a “post script” on the above:
For those who use electric drills and other electric hand tools that have a composite shell holding the drive parts – such as my DeWalt electric drill – I opened it up and used the Mobil 1 oil to lube the bearings. As an outcome, the drill obviously operates easier. The grease that was lumped around the bearing parts had long separated itself from the rotating parts – the oil didn’t. My presumption is the grease used at the factory was a plastic compatible product considering the composite drill construction.
Wendell

In addition to the Mobil 1 synthetic oil, the Mobil 1 brand synthetic grease works equally well with plastic wheel journals and motor gears. I have also used Valvoline synthetic grease. I caution using the combination greases, e.g. synthetic mixed with conventional petroleum.
Wendell

Wendell,

About a year or two ago I purchased some Mobil one motor oil and gear grease.

The oil is a15w -50 and the grease is just called “Synthetic Grease” a purple/violet color.

Both have worked out very well. I like the purple grease, because I can watch it cover the gears.

The oil gives you no sense that it is anything different than regular oil.

It was more expensive than you spent Wendell. But i think this over a ten year supply.

Barry

Source of "squeeze "bottles to fill with Mobil 1?

I have saved the small LaBelle squeeze oil tubes and reloaded them with synthetic Mobil 1.
Anyone with other sources for these small bottles with a tiny lube-tube attachment?
Our CVS pharmacy had everything but.

Thanks,
Wendell

The local craft store (Pat Catan’s) has small squeeze bottles with a pointed tip, for lack of better term. You can cut the tip right at the end to have a small opening, or a bit further back to have a larger opening. And the caps snap onto the tip

A quick search for “squeeze bottle needle oiler” found, for example, these -

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/liquid-squeeze-bottles/needle-oiler-bottles-prod44434.aspx

Thanks Mark!

Mark’s suggestion for oilers is a bulls-eye!
Brownells’ gunsmith tools and supplies has them (see his citation above) at $7.95 for three screw-top, 1/2 ounce bottles with the fine application tube on each screw cap.

Viola! Here’s a way to apply synthetic grease (Mobil 1 or other brands) in small quantities:
Place a small amount of the grease from the product can into a heavy duty plastic sandwich bag – the Zip-Lock brand Freezer bag is a choice. Then, make a very small cut in the corner of the bag for grease application – the process looks ike a cake frosting application bag.
Wendell

This “THREAD” should become a permanent one and should not be lost…if someone can arrange that…please do.

Fred Mills

If you know anyone who is Diabetic - they may give you a syringe. I’m diabetic and use them for oiling models and also in my clock repair hobby. they are small and you can really control the amount of oil and where it is placed.

If you don’t have ready access to a medical grade syringe then search for “dispensing syringe” or “oiling syringe”, lots of choices.

I have a few of those. They are really good for putting a small drop, right where its needed. I did grind the tip of the needle to a blunt end, for safety sake. There used to be a medical supply company near where I live, that sold items like scalpels, blades, gloves and syringes to the public. I am not sure if that is still allowed or if the company is still there.

Thank you Fred for your suggestion to preserve the data on inexpensive lubrication.

Here’s an upgrade, or summary, of the data I collected:

1 - The fully synthetic motor oils work on plastics as well as oils used in the food industry. It so happens, the most available to us are the motor oils – Mobil One motor oil is most cited along with their Mobil One Synthetic bearing grease. There are other choices.

2 - Thanks to Mark Hadler’s contribution (above post), one excellent application method is using the 1 ounce “Needle Oilers” sold by Brownells @ $11.99 for a package of three. They are easily filled with synthetic oil. The closest comparison are the LaBelle oilers. The part number for the oilers at Brownells is 084-000-127WB. Just Google Brownells and fill in the “search” box with “needle oilers”. I ordered three sets - a late Santa delivery for several committed LGB oil users.

3 - Be sure whatever product you use is fully synthetic - which translates as plastic compatible. Again, I use the 15/50 weight Mobil One because it appears to have stick-to-it capacity on the wheel axle ends and on the internal gear shafts within the motor assemblies - that also includes a small drop of oil on the shaft exiting the motor housing to lube the sleeve bearings on the motors. The gear teeth get the grease.

Please continue to report your experiences.

Thanks,

Wendell

Bump

Just in case it wasn’t mentioned …KY make a great synthetic lubricant that is plastic compatible and has been approved by the FDA as food industry safe!

David Russell said:

Just in case it wasn’t mentioned …KY make a great synthetic lubricant that is plastic compatible and has been approved by the FDA as food industry safe!

What are we to do with you. Damn near spit whiskey through my nose.

Devon Sinsley said:

David Russell said:

What are we to do with you. Damn near spit whiskey through my nose.

But it’s the truth?

Prove me wrong!