Large Scale Central

KVRwy's model railroad

Any of you that have followed much of the KVRwy, know that there is a history of just a bunch of guys wanting to mess with trains. http://largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=53 Page 1 has “The History of the KVRwy” Scale and size are not really that important. So when I built the inside test track for the KVRwy, I built it on top of the old HO KVRwy. Until this last summer that HO railroad has basically sat idle. With the help of Mark Godwin, we have got it running again and making progress on continuing on. Mark is an HO modeler of the Illinois Terminal Railroad and heavily involved in the Illinois Traction Society. So as stated in the “General Discussion” Forum, the HO tracks are in use again. http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=8256 I had an epiphany, that I could haul coal to the “Chance Coal Processing Plant” from the “Always Faithful Mines” in Owl’s Bend by using On30 engines and ore cars being driven by large scale people. I felt that I could also provide run of the mine coal for the KVRwy engines and empty out the cinder dump at the engine house. That is what we are working on this winter. Here you can see the dump trackage under construction under the “Southern Engine house and Service Facility”

I think that is Warren at the controls of his “Apple Pie Cart” or he calls it something like that.

Here is the cinder dump pit and loading chute.

Just past the cinder loading area is the coal dump for the engine facility. You can also see the old HO helix that brings the track up this high and also provides the platform for part of the KVRwy’s “Helix from Hell” that gets large scale trackage from the Owl’s Bend Mine to the basement window headed for the great outdoors.

Don’t think this area is without danger or at least a good laugh.

Here is an overall picture of the terminal area and the industrial trackage that is now serving it.

Very cool Ric. Nice scenery work too.

I though of doing something similar with some of Matthew’s N scale stuff. That would be real small ride-on, closer to or smaller than the 1:12 stuff in North Bay. Your ON-30 gear looks to me about the size of small amusement park equipment.

Jon

Jon Radder said:
Your ON-30 gear looks to me about the size of small amusement park equipment.

Jon

Well, that’s what I’m thinking. If the Aristo/LGB track is 3 ft then the HO is about 40% of that or so. I’m thinking like mining or industrial stuff, but did you see my request for a scale. I got totally confarkled.

Ric Golding said:
I think that is Warren at the controls of his “Apple Pie Cart” or he calls it something like that.

(http://lscdata.com/users/rgolding/080113%20054.jpg)

Ah, Warren “Goldilocks” Mumpower. That’s wot you get for scoffing the bears’ apples. But I do like the On? concept. Nice work.

Anybody got a bar of soap??

Now, where is that Chris…Damn in Fr Fred’s outhouse :frowning:

Ric, the HO track would scale out to 14" in your amalgamated scale. From that, you can model in 3 different directions…scale 15" industrial, or more tongue in cheek 16" G16 Amusement scale…(which is a lot like LGB’s rubber ruler and really lacks much of a scale) The third is more popular in England and elsewhere and that is a more historically accurate 15" gauge tram railway.

Your silver industrial locomotive that “Warren” is running on his Apple PieCart train :smiley: is well proportioned to represent a 3 3/4" scale ride-on locomotive in your amalgamated scale. To model the 4 3/4" gauge that’s in the picture elsewhere would more accurately be modeled with N or Z scale.

Warren Mumpower said:
Anybody got a bar of soap?? Now, where is that Chris.......Damn in Fr Fred's outhouse :(
In Fred's outhouse? No way. D'you know how cold it is in there? (Brass monkeys wouldn't go near it.)

Sounds like Ric could build a Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch, or
Ravenglass & Eskdale. Both 15" gauge. IIRC, the RH&D even has a North American style loco.

If Ric can just understand that HO track represents 15" gauge in his scale, then he just needs to look around at what all is being done, or has been done with 15" gauge. Maybe these pics will get his imagination running…:smiley:

(http://gold.mylargescale.com/wmumpower/LSC/06.jpg)

(http://gold.mylargescale.com/wmumpower/LSC/15a.jpg)

(http://gold.mylargescale.com/wmumpower/LSC/15inchDismal01.jpg)

These are all 15" gauge.

I don’t know Ric but I think the Gn15 is real close!

Warren,

I’ve understood all along. I just need to have the proper fodder for the nomiclature when the rivet counters are telling me I can’t do this.

Some people need to be able to justify how a B&O engine could run on a layout that has improperly scaled narrow gauge equipment. All people don’t always like white bread, but if they want to eat a pizza with pineapple on it, that’s okay.

Fun is a state of mind.

If you want an excuse to run anything on HO track on a G scale layout…call it G16. That’s about as goofy a scale as you can get. It’s an anything goes amusement/park scale. Do a google on G16 park trains.

I give. Gn15 it is. I’m not going with G16 because he already called it “Goofy”. You can call what I do “crazy”, “strange”, even “obscene”, but “Goofy” sounds too much like XXX or something and that just isn’t nice.

Ric, you must know the story about Mini Mouse…:smiley:

Warren Mumpower said:
Ric, you must know the story about Mini Mouse........:D
Isn't this supposed to be a family forum?

Now, now!! I didn’t say anything inappropriate. It’s YOUR mind that twisted what I said…:smiley:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Warren Mumpower said:
Now, now!! I didn't say anything inappropriate. It's YOUR mind that twisted what I said....:D

:stuck_out_tongue:

Mind? What mind? Lost it years ago, old chap. Not that it was good for much when I had it, so the loss is no great matter.
But we were discussing strange gauges. Just ran across one little quarry line with a gauge of 27-3/4" (it was supposed to be 28", but those English engineers … 56-1/2", 84-1/4", 23-1/2" … not a round number in the lot).

Not so…not so! 23.5" is 600mm and 24 is 610mm. 27.75(actually 27.559) is right at 700mm.