Large Scale Central

KVRwy New Headquarters Under Construction

Many of you have followed the saga of the Goldings and heard the endless hours of our desires to move, travel and relax in our golden years. Remember how you relax, is a state of mind.

When we were in Carlyle for Thanksgiving, we saw site elevation, and the footings and foundation poured. Yesterday, we got to watch the trusses being put in place for the new headquarters. The structure is a one level, two bedroom duplex with a double car garage on 6th Street in our basic 25 street farming community and County Seat.

For about 5 years, Jan and I have been wanting to move to a retirement complex here in Carlyle. It is closer to Carlyle Lake and the bike trails, we worked so hard to get built. And it will also allow an environment where we can come and go, without having much concern for maintenance or security. In the duplex, there is plenty of room for the indoor trackage of the Kaskaskia Valley Railway in both HO and #1 Gauge 1:20.3 layouts. Those of you that have gone to the ECLSTS or seen the photos and videos, know that the largescale “Timesaver” and “Inglenook” switching puzzles have always been my retirement railroad. Looks like there will be plenty of room and maybe even a little bit of outside “Garden” trackage. Lots of negotiations are underway, mapping out the territories and real estate, literally by the square foot. But however it is built, there will be plenty of head room for Aaron, Paul, Doug, Ken and our other height challenged friends.

We are headed back to the Ridge Live Steamers for the rest of Winter, next week, and the headquarter move should come together this next Spring.

Good luck Ric. Cant wait to see the finished product. I saw the pictures on FB. Looking good.

Double post

very exciting news Ric! Can’t wait to see pictures of it and to see it in person when back. And thank you for the extra vertical coverage for us challenged in height :wink:

Per Jan: We will be home by the first of April, should be done by then. I’ve already picked out everything we want in it. Notice, I said “I’ve”.

Doesn’t appear you have much say in the negotiations…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Per Jan: We will be home by the first of April, should be done by then. I’ve already picked out everything we want in it. Notice, I said “I’ve”.

Doesn’t appear you have much say in the negotiations…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

We (read that as I) are trying to stay flexible. Jan’s excited and happy, so my life is pretty good these days. Plans are coming together and nothing new will be constructed or changed, until current parts are sitting in place. I have 24 feet of modules for the large scale “TimeSaver” and “Inglenook” puzzles. Those of you that were at the 2016 ECLSTS, saw the 16 Feet of the “TimeSaver”. This was the original puzzle, rebuilt once in its 15 years of existence. There is a place for it in one bedroom or in the double car garage, as it sits. The “Inglenook” was not York, last year, as it has been rebuilt, after it was no longer “Helper Siding” in the old KVRwy track plan. It is 2 modules, made to the module plan of 31 inches x 48 inches, and has a car float well built in. It can be put on either end of the “TimeSaver” module, and actually, also in the middle. Making the layout either a “T” or and “L” or the total layout 24 feet long. The new garage has 25 plus feet of free space and may be used there, but a door would need to be moved from a storage room. Jan is not to crazy about that. I keep telling her, doors are overrated.

There are 2 36 inch x 48 inch modules for the HO version of the KVRwy trackage and they are planned to be a somewhat prototype track plan and Timesaver puzzle of the Manufacturers Railway, as it existed in St. Louis along the south city riverfront. Obviously some modeler’s license will be used as a car float well is also built in to these modules.

Car floats are planned for both scales, as this is a great way to use “cassettes” to introduce rolling stock on and off the layout from shelf storage.

Pictures? Yeah, that is something I’ve kind of given up on for Retirement. A lot of this has already been documented and well published. Searches of “Timesaver” here and in Google will provide lots of things to look at. Also a search of “Shunting Puzzles” on the net exposes a person to all the stuff that inspires some of us.

Rainy, crappy weather in the Midwest. Good day to do some internet exploring. Tuesday, we head south to play on the ride on trains, again. Lots of this is just in piles, in boxes, and on hold until the new headquarters is habitable.

Ric Golding said:

Ken Brunt said:

We (read that as I) are trying to stay flexible. Jan’s excited and happy, so my life is pretty good these days. Plans are coming together and nothing new will be constructed or changed, until current parts are sitting in place. I have 24 feet of modules for the large scale “TimeSaver” and “Inglenook” puzzles. Those of you that were at the 2016 ECLSTS, saw the 16 Feet of the “TimeSaver”. This was the original puzzle, rebuilt once in its 15 years of existence. There is a place for it in one bedroom or in the double car garage, as it sits. The “Inglenook” was not at York, last year, as it has been rebuilt, after it was no longer “Helper Siding” in the old KVRwy track plan. It is 2 modules, made to the module plan of 31 inches x 48 inches, and has a car float well built in. It can be put on either end of the “TimeSaver” module, and actually, also in the middle. Making the layout either a “T” or an “L” or the total layout 24 feet long. The new garage has 25 plus feet of free space and may be used there, but a door would need to be moved from a storage room. Jan is not to crazy about that. I keep telling her, doors are overrated.

There are 2 - 36 inch x 48 inch modules for the HO version of the KVRwy trackage and they are planned to be a somewhat prototype track plan and “Timesaver puzzle” of the Manufacturers Railway, as it existed in St. Louis, along the south city riverfront. Obviously some modeler’s license will be used, as a car float well is also built in to these modules.

Car floats are planned for both scales, as this is a great way to use “cassettes” to introduce rolling stock on and off the layout from shelf storage.

Pictures? Yeah, that is something I’ve kind of given up on for Retirement. A lot of this has already been documented and well published. Searches of “Timesaver” here and on Google will provide lots of things to look at. Also a search of “Shunting Puzzles” on the net exposes a person to all the stuff that inspires some of us.

Rainy, crappy weather in the Midwest. Good day to do some internet exploring. Tuesday, we head south to play on the ride on trains, again. Lots of this is just in piles, in boxes, and on hold until the new headquarters is habitable.

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-timesaver.html

http://www.trainweb.org/dsrg/operation.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhh-CpISTw

Sounds awesome, and I like the idea of having car floats for operations. Plus they are fun to build as well.

Ric Golding said:

But however it is built, there will be plenty of head room for Aaron, Paul, Doug, Ken and our other height challenged friends.

So I don’t need to bring a hard hat with me…Kewl!..(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Great news that this idea is finally coming to fruition. I remember talking about these plans years ago, well before you kissed the Marina goodbye for good.

I also like the idea of a car float / cassette interface. Something I should seriously consider as my indoor expansion gets closer to operational status. Are there any links on this idea you care to share, or should I use my Google Foo ?

Aaron Loyet said:

Sounds awesome, and I like the idea of having car floats for operations. Plus they are fun to build as well.

Aaron,

Have you posted pictures of your work on the floats?

Jon,

I’ve spent a lot of time researching the “Car Float” subject. Many styles, from multi level to single track. Two or 3 track are the most probable.

I did a search of “car float” and “car ferry” right here on LSC and that’s a good start. Its amazing how many times Rooster speaks up when “ferries” are mentioned.

Didn’t want to leave ya out of the conversation, Leghorn. Merry Christmas.

Its amazing how many times Rooster speaks up when “ferries” are mentioned.

As opposed to how many other times he speaks up?

The reason David Russell gets excited about “Ferries”, is because he has always been hoping, to have the opportunity to be a “Ferry Boat Captain”, and ply the waters of New York Harbour, wearing a proper captains uniform, while viewing the great river from his bridge.

Some day, David, some day…you might even have a ferry that carries railroad cars, or if the tunnels fail before they are finally rebuilt…Amtrak equipment…SMILE…

He played the “Tooth Ferry” when his kid was younger…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)