Large Scale Central

Kevin Strong's New Book

‘Garden Railway Basics’ arrove on my porch this morning, courtesy of US Mail and Postgirl Pattie.

I had it pre-ordered, so it was no real surprise, but nevertheless, I was very keen to open it up, and see what Kevin had done to bring the world of model railways in the backyard to folks who might be dithering.

I’m happy to relate, that even if I was total noob, the easy and informative style of Kevin’s narrative would have given me confidence to take the plunge. Far from it being a guide to ‘these are all the great trains I have, aren’t I lucky’ that often comes over in other writings of the genre, Kevin’s ‘this is how I did it, and so can you, too’ message is an easy read, and, in my opinion, is required reading for anybody in the least bit interested in our hobby.

Profusely illustrated with this new fangled photography stuff that seems to be catching on most everywhere, with clear and colourful diagrams and graphics where they can do the most good - as part of the text to which they relate - I recommend Kevin’s book to you all, new-comers or old f4rts like me. In either case, it’s a great read.

‘Garden Railway Basics’ Kevin Strong - Kalmbach - ISBN978-9-89024-835-5 - $19.95 + taxes, where applicable.

Thanks for the i nfo tac. Did not even know he had a book. I just ordered my copy. Thanks

Shawn,

From your vids and pics, I don’t think you need a basic guide book. :slight_smile:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Thanks for the info tac. Did not even know he had a book. I just ordered my copy. Thanks

I just ordered my copy too. When I get young again, I want to be just like you Shawn. :slight_smile:

Ok you guys got me. I just want to look at the pictures. :slight_smile:

I like to have books like Kevin’s handy when we are doing a show-and-tell session with the public. Over here, THE man is Tag Gorton - headliner and editor of the monthly Garden Rail magazine - now available online, BTW at a substantial savement. His books are - of course - Anglo-centric, in much the same way as Kevin’s focusses exclusively on US-style rolling stock with the exception of a couple of Marc Horowitz’ steamers and a clockwork-driven loco.

I also use the explanatory hand-out from SiTG, although, of course, that too is 99% US in flavour. However, the basics are the same everywhere.

tac, ig, ken the GFT & The Double Heron Glideshow Boys

I love Tags stuff as well tac. I just got his Steaming in the Garden book. Good stuff.

Shawn, I’ll be happy to pass on your good wishes- we are meeting up at the big show in Peterborough at the end of the month!

Best

tac, fully unpaid-up remote member of the Ottawa Valley GRS

That would be great tac. I also look forward to reading his Chequerplate colums in Garden Rail. Good stuff.

On order! Thanks for the glowing review.

I posted THIS on another forum today.................

'I wrote a short review of Mr Strong's book over on another forum.  In view of the butt-kicking I got a while back from the management here for mentioning non-XXXXXXXX products, you'll have to read my words someplace else that, unfortunately, I'm not able to name for the reason stated above.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS'

tac Foley said:
I posted THIS on another forum today.................
'I wrote a short review of Mr Strong's book over on another forum.  In view of the butt-kicking I got a while back from the management here for mentioning non-XXXXXXXX products, you'll have to read my words someplace else that, unfortunately, I'm not able to name for the reason stated above.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS'

;)

tac Foley said:

I posted THIS on another forum today…

'I wrote a short review of Mr Strong’s book over on another forum. In view of the butt-kicking I got a while back from the management here for mentioning non-XXXXXXXX products, you’ll have to read my words someplace else that, unfortunately, I’m not able to name for the reason stated above.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS’

Saw it …found it …thanks Tac… Gerry