Large Scale Central

Keeping track level over a long distance

Don’t discount the laser level with the bubble too much. I agree the water level is very cheap and very effective.

Buuut, we aren’t building the pyramids here. The accuracy of the laser level is good enough. What’s the most he will be off 1 or 2 inches??? In the end you adjust the height when your laying track anyways.

Aaannnnddd, when it comes right down to it, the Mark 1, Mod A Human Eyeball is usually sufficient to our purposes. Its also called the Seaman’s Eye.

Is that where the term “Eye Eye Captain” came from?

Nah, lad. And its Aye, aye, Cap’n. :slight_smile:

Hi folks! The Harbor Freight level worked perfectly! I have about 20ft of roadbed finished, and at least 400ft surveyed. I have 3 yards of 3/4in driveway base mix being delivered.

When I get a chance I will post pics this weekend.

Like I said, this line needs to be as level as possible. My other layout, now 16 years old has 4% grades and 10ft dia turns. NO More! I want to be able to run anything.mm

Jake Smith said:

Don’t discount the laser level with the bubble too much. I agree the water level is very cheap and very effective.

Buuut, we aren’t building the pyramids here. The accuracy of the laser level is good enough. What’s the most he will be off 1 or 2 inches??? In the end you adjust the height when your laying track anyways.

I respectfully must disagree with the 1-2" tolerance. Depending on the distance you try to survey, your accuracy might be off by a foot. I have been a carpenter for over forty years and my experience with spirit levels is that no matter how good of a level they might be, they are only good for getting level and plumb close. They are good for short distances like leveling the head of a door jamb or setting individual cabinets. When I want to plumb a door jamb or wall, my Plumb Bob was the tool of choice. If I want to level a string of cabinets, the Water Level is put to use.

I will say that I do have a PLS laser Level that has proven itself to be a time saver. However, it is a high end tool, significantly more accurate than the Spirit level that is the subject of discussion.

Hi folks,

I somehow managed to make photo posting work on MLS! Anyways, here’s a link to my postings over there.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/21/aft/115361/afv/topic/Default.aspx

The thread starts in 2010, so I suggest blasting through to the bottom or most recent page of the thread.

I will properly post the photos here later tonight when I have access to a PC.

Looks great Jeff. Glad your getting started.

You definitely have leaf duty in the Fall. Guess you could call that extreme… :wink:

This is a double track roadbed for my new mainline, comprised of 3 /4in driveway base. The base is being left to set with rain and foot traffic. Crusher fines will be added when the track goes down. Eventually, the track will pass into the foreground and make a 20ft Dia reverse loop. The large rock and rock pile are planned to be used for a firepit /seating area. Can’t wait to burn that debris pile in the background!

Thanks Jake!

The leaves can be a bit frustrating this time of year…just yesterday they were mostly gone, but then a storm blew through and they’re back. Fortunately I have an excelent leaf blower to clear the rails for operating sessions.

Here’s the first new rock wall of the new Rockwall Canyon!

(http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8-TJB5LX5y8/UooV4tn-lgI/AAAAAAAABp0/Zaj-GiqSB34/s576/20131118_074816.jpg)

That’s a great setting for a railroad Jeff. Lots of work ahead but it will be worth it.

Agree with Jon, great setting… Will be interesting to watch your progress…

Thanks guys!

Heading deeper into the woods, things will get really unusual. I’m looking to build a 25ft bridge/trestle over some poorly drained soil…needed for both for trains, and operators, (and bikes hopefully). Once back at elevation the track will continue onward to an authentic stream crossing about 4ft below track level. From here the track will extend another 25ft or so to large 20ft dia min reverse loop in an area i’m planning to use as a camp site next summer. Overall, I think I’m looking at about 400-500ft mainline.

That is going to be a neat layout you have planned. The only trouble I see is maintaining the track. Most of my RR is under trees and in the Spring I have 2 weeks where the trees drop goo and really make a mess this time of year (FALL) I am dealing with mountsins of leaves, twigs, acorns, half eaten accorns, pine needles, pine cones and branches. This is my backyard not the woods so you might have even more problems with critters. It is amazing how a half eaten accorn can derail a engine.

Other than that I think your RR is going to be really cool.

Quite a railroad, Jeff. You could almost have a riding railroad with all that room!

Jeff, if I can make one suggestion, when it rains heavily, go look at the water flow in that stream… It could save you a lot or work later… Noone realizes how much water collects and runs during heavy rainstorms…

Hi Andy,

Absolutely, I have no plans to have the tracks cross the stream before winter sets in. I don’t know if I can capture the terrain of the site properly in photos at the moment, but i think its a rather unique case. The water source is merely low-lying land with no visible surface water or streams entering it. What’s interesting is that this low-lying land isn’t as low as the drop-off behind it. There is a strip of granite retaining this wetland at a higher level…much, much higher than the lowest part of my property. Over the years, the stream has cut through this granite to connect the high water to the low water. The location where I plan to cross the stream is on the ridge of this granite strip…the highest and driest possible route. (hopefully)

I’ll Agree with Steve. The eye is much better to detect straight . I was taught by one heck of a good track foreman. It’s called track eye. Later RJD