Large Scale Central

Just so we're clear...

…the “Be nice to each other” policy here is being ruthlessly enforced (ain’t that a contradiction?). I am completely out of to give. You all know the policies here, and, yes, I’ve been lax enforcing them to a degree, because I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. This has allowed a people to repeatedly run up to the Line of Appropriateness and say “But I didnt cross the line!” and I’m done with that. I eventually reach the breaking point with everyone, most recently two long-standing members who I’ve finally had enough of.

I’m on two other forums a lot as I have interest in both, the Oliver Trailer Trailer Forum which is pretty much a stickler on being nice and then there is the Jeep Wrangler Forum and it is pretty much anything goes up to a point. Sometimes on this forum I’m a little bit surprised on what some say and not that I wouldn’t want to say the same thing at times. Small disagreements are good, it’s the way we learn and become knowledgeable of things and many times we learn there is a better way to do things. I realize that most on this forum are older and we become very optioned on things and have our way of doing things, I’m in that group, but there are many younger G Scalpers out there on this forum, thank goodness just maybe the model railroad hobby can survive. You also have to take into account that many are friends on this forum and they do pull at each other, it’s all done in friendship, but someone reading a post my not know of that and take if differently. My sense of humor is pretty wide open and sometimes I may say something just to get a reaction from the poster and usually by there return post you know right quick how they took it. So for those of you who live under a rock, lighten up, this G scale stuff is many different things to many different people and your ideas are your own, don’t expect all to agree with you.

trainman

John Lenheiser said:

I’m on two other forums a lot as I have interest in both, the Oliver Trailer Trailer Forum which is pretty much a stickler on being nice and then there is the Jeep Wrangler Forum and it is pretty much anything goes up to a point. Sometimes on this forum I’m a little bit surprised on what some say and not that I wouldn’t want to say the same thing at times. Small disagreements are good, it’s the way we learn and become knowledgeable of things and many times we learn there is a better way to do things. I realize that most on this forum are older and we become very optioned on things and have our way of doing things, I’m in that group, but there are many younger G Scalpers out there on this forum, thank goodness just maybe the model railroad hobby can survive. You also have to take into account that many are friends on this forum and they do pull at each other, it’s all done in friendship, but someone reading a post my not know of that and take if differently. My sense of humor is pretty wide open and sometimes I may say something just to get a reaction from the poster and usually by there return post you know right quick how they took it. So for those of you who live under a rock, lighten up, this G scale stuff is many different things to many different people and your ideas are your own, don’t expect all to agree with you.

trainman

I find Jeep forums the worst for harassing people, its amazing the toxicity in them.

I’ve been pretty clear from the start of LSC that people should act like they’re in my living room talking trains. I dont want a heavy-handed set of enumerated rules, because that in and of itself brings the rules lawyers out. Just be nice. But apparently that’s too much to ask of some people.

LOL Jeep forums…“if you’re Jeep isn’t my personal Jeep and set up exactly like mine it’s a piece of (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)and you’re just a poser loser.”…oh yeah been there. Toxic is generous.

It sure appears that a lot of folks do NOT think this “warning” applies to them, as we have been given warning multiple times over the years. A few folks have left and I thought it had quieted down a bit but I guess I was wrong!

I would sure hate to lose this site as it’s one of the few I check on a regular basis, but it might be time for EVERY ONE of US to ask ourselves WHAT can I do to make Bob’s life easier? I sure do like his living room analogy - so question yourself WHY come here to stir up trouble? Would you REALLY do THAT in person?

Bruce Chandler said:

It sure appears that a lot of folks do NOT think this “warning” applies to them, as we have been given warning multiple times over the years. A few folks have left and I thought it had quieted down a bit but I guess I was wrong!

I would sure hate to lose this site as it’s one of the few I check on a regular basis, but it might be time for EVERY ONE of US to ask ourselves WHAT can I do to make Bob’s life easier? I sure do like his living room analogy - so question yourself WHY come here to stir up trouble? Would you REALLY do THAT in person?

From running this site for 20 years, nobody ever thinks a warning applies to them, even if its done in direct response to something they did (see Mike Morgan or HJ for examples). By their very nature, people tend to think they are doing ‘the right thing’ even when told they are out of line.

Hmmm

Maybe it’s time for a MIA report;

Been in bed for 3b weeks.

John Caughey said:

Hmmm

Hope you get better!

I’m not too concerned about WHO is missing now…I’m more worried that soon we could ALL be missing if there’s no site to go to.

By their very nature, people tend to think they are doing ‘the right thing’ even when told they are out of line.

Their parents have a lot to answer for. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Vic Smith said:

LOL Jeep forums…“if you’re Jeep isn’t my personal Jeep and set up exactly like mine it’s a piece of (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)and you’re just a poser loser.”…oh yeah been there. Toxic is generous.

Here is my Jeep Wrangler, it’s just a stock jeep the way I want it to be, I love it.

trainman

John Caughey said:

Hmmm

Sorry to hear that John, hope you’ve turned the corner and are getting better.

Hope you’re improving John. Thanks for the update

Does this make me a Jeep poser?

Chris Kieffer said:

LOL “is that your grandma’s car” …or something to that effect would be a typical response LOL(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I re-read my posts. And then edit or don’t post at all if I think there might

be a hint of something not appropriate to the topic. About 50% of my posts never get posted.

I try to police myself.

Chris Kieffer said:

Liking the fact it has a long-arm kit and King coilovers…

Many years ago I saw a spare tire cover on a Jeep that declared “It’s a Jeep thing, you wouldn’t understand!” That kind of snobbery turned me off to Jeeps and a lot of their owners. I wish I could find a bumper sticker that proclaimed “It’s a steam thing, you couldn’t even comprehend!” (Off roading for me is hitting the high iron.)

I drive a Honda Pilot instead, but its nickname is Richard Bong. (Some of you may get the irony.)

Regards, David Meashey

Bob McCown said:

Chris Kieffer said:

And I’m diggin it that I’m not the only one who’s ok with some thread drift, haha!!

Seriously though, thanks for the reminder Bob, we are indeed pulling up a chair in your living room. LSC is your avocation that we all benefit from, not some for-profit thing that you’re living off of. I’m so grateful that you’re considering not only hanging in there with the site, but also upgrading it – with no guarantee of it covering your expenses. Which I certainly hope it will.

Ok, back to the thread. What’s a “coilover”?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Cliff Jennings said:

Bob McCown said:

Chris Kieffer said:

And I’m diggin it that I’m not the only one who’s ok with some thread drift, haha!!

Seriously though, thanks for the reminder Bob, we are indeed pulling up a chair in your living room. LSC is your avocation that we all benefit from, not some for-profit thing that you’re living off of. I’m so grateful that you’re considering not only hanging in there with the site, but also upgrading it – with no guarantee of it covering your expenses. Which I certainly hope it will.

Ok, back to the thread. What’s a “coilover”?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Coilover shocks are REALLY expensive, high-performance off-road suspension pieces, that are your spring and shock absorber combined. Similar to a Macpherson strut, but rebuildable. Very good for offroad, but high maintenance.

Hideously expensive. A set for my Jeep, for example, would be around 6k.

Chris Kieffer said:

Chris,

How fast is this R/C car or is it geared really low for rock climbing? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)