Large Scale Central

John Caughey 1950-2020

I always enjoyed his latest project. I will miss emailing with him.

R.I.P. John

RIP John.

Amen

Hi LSC Community,

My name is Andrew and John Caughey was my uncle. John was an amazing intelligent man with a passion for trains (as you may well know). Over the course of my life I always marveled at his keenness for railways and their history. John shared this excitement for trains with his nieces and nephews (and his grand nieces and nephews). His LS train was setup outside his home in Vail, AZ and he meticulously worked on the layout and construction regularly. He was glad to display it and show it to any visitor to his home.

John has passed away but I wanted to share some happy news about a serendipitous event that occurred in the months prior. John ran into two of his closes friends from his Laguna Beach days. He hadn’t seen them in over a decade then while at the local grocery store, there they are. They visited with John almost every single day while he rested at the home of his sister (Candace, my mother). They listed to music, laughed, told old stories and relaxed as best as they could during his final days.

John is gone now but I wanted to share this photo which is the way I would like to remember him. His family all gathered at the Cumbres & Toltec railroad to ride the train and celebrate John’s birthday. We rode the train, had lunch and he taught the children all about the historic railroad. As you can see in the photo John was quite happy that day. John’s humor and intellect set him apart and his way of living life on his own terms was an inspiration.

Thank you LSC community for all of your support and kind words.

John Passaro said:

John, his body overwhelmed by cancer, but not his spirit, died August 26th in the care of his family in Tucson.

Andrew, thanks so much for stopping by and filling us in, and telling some of John’s story from your perspective.

It’s great to know that he had loving family and friends around him.

Many thanks, Andrew, for giving us a glimpse into John’s life. I think he was an inspiration to most people who had the opportunity to know him, even if only through this site. John will be dearly missed.

Thank you, Andrew. That was much appreciated.

Andrew thank you so much for that insight. John talked of the support he received from the family on a regular basis. So nice to see the photo of those whom he spoke of. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

thanks Andrew.

Yes, Thank you very much Andrew!

Thanks for sharing Andrew. Your uncle was one of the regular posters here on LSC and would often tease about how his sister wouldn’t let him do certain things while staying at her house. Then promptly when he got back home, he would do the exact same thing that his sister told him not to do!

We’ve had our far share of modelers that pass away, but not many have family that reach out to their hobby family. Thanks for sharing.

Damn, just now seeing this.

RIP John.

Sorry to be late, I’ve been fighting my own health challenges.

I will miss John.

He is the reason I am on LSC. And he and I hit it off right from the start with a little tit for tat that we both enjoyed and launched a friendship.

RIP buddy. You are now truly cancer free. I know your faith and all is good.