Large Scale Central

John Caughey 1950-2020

So sorry to here, he was one great modeler and inspiration, my condolences to his family, he will be missed, Bill

RIP John… Going to miss this guy. Out condolences to his family,

I didn’t know him but it is never good to hear of a fellow hobbyist passing. My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP John.

V/r,

Dan

R.I.P John!

R.I.P. John.

Very sad to hear of his passing, as he was only 150 miles away I always intended on driving down and visiting him and seeing his layout in person. Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed by a lot of people here.

Aw bummer, thats sad news. Miks Challenge won’t be the same without him, RIP John we’ll miss ya.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

Rooster said:

Always enjoyed his posts ! My condolences to the family!

I have a bit more to say and I “HOPE” I’m saying this correctly without offending anyone …“John’s dead man”…He used to love when I made that reference to the deceased!

This post has been edited by ROOSTER: This is my Eulogy to you John and I have edited this post JUST for you John . RIP my cyber friend !

I will miss my friend John. He now resides in the minds of his friends. Rest in peace amigo! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif)

I first met John on a site that shall remain nameless. I was excited to see when he made the transition over here. He definitely marched to his own drum and I always liked how he modeled his whimsy with out restriction. I’ll miss you John.

There were a couple of things that reminded me of John whenever I saw his name on the board. A year or two ago, he posted pictures of the current status of his railroad and there was a Rattlesnake laying there - I think it was getting some shade under the wooden risers and he took a picture of it. First off, I would never have stood there taking a picture of a damn Rattler. I probably woulda bolted out of there like lightening. But he was obviously used to seeing a few of them around there and it seemed like it was nothing to him - just another day in Tucson. I suspect that he walked gingerly around that layout, probably with a big stick!

The other time I gave him the what-for for derailing a thread that I started. I called him “McCaughey”. Instead of unleashing one of his patented smart-assed remarks or laying into me, accusing me of thinking I owned the thread, he apologized via PM. He didn’t have to do that, and I thought he showed some class. I enjoyed his posts - the guy was definitely an experienced modeler, and I’m just sorry he didn’t live long enough to see his layout finished, or at least close to it.

R.I.P. Johnny, we hardly knew ye!

Sad to hear this . RIP John

Very sad to hear of his passing,

I’m very sorry to hear this sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

John’s humor was so rye. I cannot count the number of times he had me rolling in fits of laughter. That is how I will remember him.

RIP hell. Pour on the coal and run the throttle wide open my friend, there is nothing holding you back now!

Folks;

Just saw a photo of John’s model of an amusement ride in the Random Photos section. Not sure whether the “cars” were a Buck Rodgers style space ship or the Beatles’ Yellow Submarine, but the whole ride is delightful. It is a tribute to John’s creativity. John may be gone, but his modeling is still an inspiration for the rest of us.

Miss 'ya, John, David Meashey

I haven’t been on the forum much these last few days, so just saw your post John. Thanks very much for the report, but it’s sad to hear.

I want to share a few stories.

John “Totalwrecker” (his moniker on MLS) Caughey tutored me a lot when I first got into the hobby, and I benefitted much on that front. We also shared a love for odd & rustic prototype history, so whenever I posted on an oddity that intrigued me, I knew I could count on John to chat about it. John had an amazing ability to pull up strange photos of a weird prototype as an example of whatever was being discussed.

I mentioned MLS, because we got to know each other on that other site. But when it began having technical difficulties, I switched over to this one. John soon followed, and replied as normal to my posts – but misleading me that it was a different guy! Eventually he fessed up, admitting he was The Other John." So I called him “OJ” for quite a while after that!

His layout was / is a unique work of art, mixing his model railroad with geological specimens, desert-beaten boards and rusted iron. I always wanted to get out there to visit, but it never worked out. I hope his family are able to disposition his layout and equipment in a respectful way.

I’d been hoping & expecting his treatments last year to be effective; but the last message I received from him, on August 7, was this:

Well my .cancer has spread., more.treatments are planned. The fun. Never stops.
Your friend, John

John never complained, and did his best to keep involved with his friends here without mentioning his suffering. I really admire him.

Rest in peace, my friend. I’ll miss ya.

Cliff

I always enjoyed his latest project. I will miss emailing with him.

I always enjoyed his latest project. I will miss emailing with him.