Large Scale Central

Joe Douglass

Man, I sure miss a LOT these days. :innocent:

Flatcar loads! And lot of them

Jerry

3 Likes

That’s easy. Lots of rusty paint and you’ve got a locomotive graveyard.

1 Like

OK, here’s a hint. Look at the top photo of my main thread yesterday…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ahhhhhh, light shines on yonder head. Very clever :smiley:

1 Like

The rest of the cab parts are finishing up printing now. And FWIW, here’s how it looks in the “slicer” software.

I’m making spares of the smaller pieces, as you can see.

The new cab and backhead are fitting onto the boiler ok. Here’s the general idea, though with just a test print of the backhead.

The “real” backhead will be in process during the week, since I’m still hoping for proto pics from one of the folks I’ve asked. But here it is at the moment.

Love watching your projects come together, Cliff. A master at work.

1 Like

Here’s the blackhead of my Mogul.

You’re way too kind Dan, I’m no master at anything, haha! But my sincere thanks for your generous words.

Excellent work, Doc! So if I understand correctly, you use some Trackside Details on a 3d printed main part? Looks like your door is operable, so maybe a bit of brass rod for a shaft, and perhaps your pipes?

Cliff,
The blackhead is styrene, the rivets are Tichy and the door and other details are Trackside.

That’s amazing Doc. Gorgeous work!!

I couldn’t find the Tichy site, you have a link?

Here’s next weekend’s work (well, after Christmas activities!):

They’re called Tichy Train Group.

1 Like

I missed it too. Good one

Tichy is a good source. I used them a lot in HO. Tichy Train Group

As for rivets I still very much like sewing pins, Cheap, can get them anywhere, and they make a decent scale rivet.

I saw it, I was waiting to see if anyone else did. :slight_smile:

:rofl:

1 Like

Hi Don, that’s actually the place I went to when you first mentioned Tichy. But since I couldn’t find nails or brads there, using their search function, I assumed you were referring to a different site. Thanks though.

Cliff,
Do you recycle the sprue ? That’s some nice small beams there?

Yesterday I received a number of Joe D cab interior photos from Wendell Huffman, curator at the NSRM (what a great guy!).

Courtesy Wendell Huffman, NV State RR Museum

These will help me a lot!! However, it seems that the Joe D has been relieved of a lot of backhead detail. A sister loco, in operating condition, reveals (per Wendell’s pics) a ton more detail that I’m not sure I can accommodate in this effort. Like (to Devon’s earlier comment) a sight glass on the left side, between those two diagonally-placed plugs. So we’ll see.

I’d asked about the roof composition, and he climbed up there to take some shots. I had expected black tarpaper, but it looks like nailed-down metal sheets of some sort.

Courtesy Wendell Huffman, NV State RR Museum

This is an ongoing discussion, but I wanted to keep the thread current. :slight_smile:

Cliff

1 Like