Large Scale Central

Joe Douglass

If Amtrak used steam locomotives, you would LOVE them… :innocent:

1 Like

2 Likes

why does that locomotive look like it has the same side mirrors that were on my 66 ford?

And front end stains like it’d been cow tippin like my '68 Econoline?

1 Like

They were cheap, and Ford made millions of them, and Ford drivers have control issues , see any YouTube page on Mustangs

1 Like

You’re able to do this AND the MIK? You need a challenge!

If you get bored with Joe, send him here! Magnificent work, and I love how your early boilers became the genesis for the Mik!

Eric

Thanks very much Eric! :grinning:

I don’t think you ever told us who Joe Douglass was unless I missed that part? If I did miss that part then please repost it so I can read it twice. If I did not miss that part then you have more research to do!!!

:grinning:

1 Like

Y- er— uh— hmm—

Rooster, as you suspected, I did NOT tell who Joe was. And since you care, you bet, I’ll cough it up.

[I erased a lot of blah blah here, and should get credit]

Here’s a good article on the topic..

BTW, the period after “JOE” was to indicate it was an abbreviation for “JOSEPH.” The period after “DOUGLASS” was indicative of the end of a name – something evident all over the place at the time.

Seems Joe was rather wealthy and died in 1904.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/pages/results/?state=&date1=1789&date2=1963&proxtext=Joe+Douglass+Virginia+City&x=17&y=17&dateFilterType=yearRange&rows=20&searchType=basic

1 Like

Nice find, Rooster!!

1 Like

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/pages/results/?state=&date1=1850&date2=1904&proxtext=Joe+Douglass+Locomotive&x=20&y=7&dateFilterType=yearRange&rows=20&searchType=basic

Well Cliff I did some homework for you and it appears you NOW need an engineer. His name is Tom Riley and he is from Carson!
:laughing:

Also note that as of April 14th 1897 the Joe Douglass was still working and rebuilding the line ?

:rooster:

Great clips, Rooster! You might be inspiring me to do more research on the whole story, thanks!

Funny note on the impatient female bystanders during the steamup…

IIRC, the mill originally had a horse-drawn railroad, so perhaps the “reconstruction” is that of the original line, maybe beefing it up for a heavier “horse.”

Thanks Dude!

Great !
So I suppose I get a “Signed” “FREE” copy of your book on the Joe Douglass when it’s printed then?