Large Scale Central

Joe Douglass

I can assure you, spelling is not one of my strengths :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It was pointed out to me that I forgot to use my sarcasm emoji in my comment about using wood fired locomotives to save the planet. No I don’t honestly believe that. I just love wood fired steamers and will invent whatever science I need to defend them.

Sorry for dragging my thread back to the original subject, but I had something to share that was, at least to me, somewhat interesting.

Yesterday Wendell sent me a scan of a very faded but original drawing of the JD’s frame, apparently from Porter (the title block is truncated, so can’t tell).

So for the first time, I was able to calibrate what I’d come up with from photos against some real dimensions.

In brief: the drivers and trailing wheels are quite undersized; and I had to push the trailing wheels forward because of an interference. Cab roof is too short (I thought it was way long!), stack is too short, and the retainer around the tank is too tall. Etc.

But, bottom line, it’s close enough for this project.

From the LGB wheelbase of 3", vs. the drawing dimension of 58", the scale turns out to be 1:19.3. So I’ll say it’s 1:20:3 (the Joe D ran on 36" track) and call it a day.

Cliff

4 Likes

Not bad for eyeballed candy Cliff :sunglasses:

1 Like

Looking VERY nice.

Yeah, getting the correct size drivers can be very problematic, but yours sure looks GOOD! And they’re not THAT undersized…

1 Like

Cliff, I’d say you came dang close. I would have guessed you had that drawing from day one and worked off of it. I do see what you are talking about but trying to “make things work” doesn’t always translate to scale prototyping, such as available motor blocks with scale drivers. To my eye you came very darn close.

And sorry for my part in derailing your thread.

There was a question on another thread about why the pilot wheels were too small (I forget what loco it was.) I pointed out that with our big flanges, making the wheels undersized but the overall diameter across the flanges similar to the original was a good compromise.
Your trailing truck wheels seem to be a close example of that - the overall diameter of your model and the drawing seem similar?

Good points, Pete, you made me check:

The JD drawing and spec show 30" drivers, which at 1:19 scale to 1.58. The LGB drivers are 1.21", scaling up to 23", so diametral delta of 7".

The trailing wheels were the closes I had on hand, and scale up to 14.6", while the JD’s look to be 18".

So, good to know, thanks. I’ll have the answer in case someone asks.

There are some world class rivet counters in the V&T society. However, most of them are model railroaders as well. So on the one hand, they’ll notice discrepancies like this. On the other , they’re quick to say, “Oh, if it’s for your layout, do whatever you feel like doing.” So they’ll appreciate the effort I think.

:grin:

Thanks Dave, Bruce, Devon, I’m glad you don’t think it’s too far off. I may (or may not) rework the tender and stack; still mulling it over.

The backhead is moving along. As I mentioned somewhere earlier, this is a simplified representation, so I’ll not mess with lubricators & etc.

Linda cleverly asked me last week (recalling a seminar on locomotive restoration dating we attended last October), “so what era will the Joe D. model represent?” She thought she had me stumped. But I said “Museum era!” Meaning… stripped down! We had a laugh.

Courtesy Wendell Huffman, NSRM

So, bare it will be. But, I had to add a few things per Wendell’s photos, like the 3rd level cock, sight glass, better shelf, and a much better firebox door. This is based on his “Seward” photos (I posted one earlier).

The sight glass is intended to have bits of acrylic and brass rod, with separately-printed valves.

The LGB throttle and tri-cock handles will be manually added (time hasn’t permitted me to cad them in… so far).

So, on to the johnson bar. Lots going on there, but I’m gradually understanding the bits and pieces (which will be printed as one thing and screwed down with the cab’s floor flange).

BTW, the Seward had brakes, and a brake lever just outboard the J-bar. But the Joe D doesn’t have brakes… at least, currently.

Cliff

edit…

Here’s the cab with the J-bar.

It just occurred to me to use brass nailheads for the sight glass valve handles, since they’re so small (and need to be smaller that what’s shown).

Hasta manana…

2 Likes

All I can say Cliff is AMAZING!! :smiley: Your modeling skills are on another planet.

1 Like

I agree. Amazing work Cliff.

Doc

1 Like

Dan and Don, you’re too kind! Much appreciated.

That’s going to be might fine looking!

When do you expect to print it? :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks Bruce!
All the new stuff (backhead & details, and a new tender) are printing now.
I’ll probably have to wait till Monday to mess with them though, due to :santa:
:grin:

Cliff,

Does it hurt to be you? I mean really that much talent and attention to detail must be painful. You and Ray just blow my mind with how close attention you pay to minute detail. You guys operate on a whole other level.

1 Like

Devon, don’t give him too much credit or else Bob will have to get a much bigger Santa hat to fit his swollen head :grinning: :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, Cliff, I couldn’t resist, LOL

Merry Christmas

3 Likes

Haha!! Thanks for the compliments guys. And the nice way of saying “you’re probably ignoring all your other priorities in life,” which I sure am at the moment, haahaa!!

I’m nowhere near Ray, he’s a craftsman, I’m just a cad jockey. But thanks for mentioning me in the same sentence, you made my day Devon!

:smiley: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Not only is he a GREAT modeler, but must be the NEATEST modeler around. You should see his ‘work’ space - you could eat off of the surface and not suffer any consequences. :innocent:

1 Like