Large Scale Central

Joe Douglass

Cliff_Jennings

3d

MC doesn’t have them, and I couldn’t find them on Amazon or anywhere else. But thanks for giving your brain a workout for that answer. :grin: :crazy_face:

Have you tried Micro Mark ?

Yep, I tried MM first thing, but no joy.
But I’m getting the Gyro set via Home Depot.

1 Like

Hi Ray,

I’m using the same vacuum pump as for the laser; the pump is outside in a ported plastic Suncast deck box. It’s similar to those used for inflatables, except its connection is at the center of the fan, not tangent to it. Here’s what I’m using:

There are plastic versions of it; but I’ve yet to find one with the center inlet connection for vacuum usage. This one is cheaper than mine and is 2x the wattage (might be overkill):

I’d want the motor to be as separate from the airflow as possible, to avoid mixing flammable fumes with the motor. Which is why the inline blowers, or ones with the squirrel cage around the motor, don’t seem great. Those mentioned above at least have the blower to the side.

Here’s an interesting setup one guy did, with a completely separate motor.

1 Like

I don’t have any records, and according to Micromark, I have NEVER bought anything there at all. (Who knew? :innocent:). But, I suspect that IS where I got them; and they just don’t carry them anymore…

I built one years ago from a cut down cardboard TV box reinforced with wood furring strips. The fan motor needs to be outside the air path to eliminate the possibility of fire or explosion. Some bathroom vent fans are designed with the motor outside the air path. That is what I chose. I attached to fan output to a long dryer hose that went out a window.

My advise is to design it so it folds up for storage. Mine didn’t and being large and seldom used I finally decided to scrap it.

3 Likes

I am going to start a thread on this. I have some ideas and I think this would be a good topic.

I started a thread in the tools section

Painting has been coming along, with 2 days between coats. There are several parts that are two-color, and they got re-masked and shot this morning.

To save masking headaches, the cab windows are “boarded up” from the inside with scrap plastic lasered from the same pattern as the clear windows.

Also been doing hand painting of details, more on that tomorrow probably.

3 Likes

So when your building a steam engine you use blue tape, when you build a diesel you use green , right Shane …Very nice Cliff !

Dang Sean, you missed the aluminum Devon cap used on the steamer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sunglasses:

You got it, Sean. And don’t forget pink for Amtrak.
:grin:

1 Like

Today was final detail painting…

Doc, I tried your spray-and-wipe-off method on the smokebox door lettering, and it went quite well. My first dabbing attempts didn’t work, so I tried something different: taped down a lens-type microfiber cloth, dripped paint thinner on that, then wiped. And it worked! The pressure was even, so the lettering all came out uniformly wiped.

The other parts though either had something in the way of a clean wipe, or were sorta curled (the name boards), so I resorted to hand lettering. Don’t look too close!

Devon, our sharpie idea worked well on the builder’s plate. Well, as good as it could have, given the tiny shallow letters, and the fact that primer and black paint filled and blurred what was there. But they give a sense of lettering from a few feet, and that’s fine.

The (“brass”) sharpie comes out more like bronze, and it looked nice on the sight glass valves I think.

sight glass

That’s it for this weekend. I’ll try to do the remaining coats during the week, and hope to get into some assembly next Saturday.

Cheers,
:88> Cliffy

Everything came out looking great. Your application of the recommended techniques worked quite well. Couldn’t expect any better.

1 Like

That means a lot Doc, thanks very much.

Well, I opened the image full size which give a super close up view and I think it looks fantastic. I couldn’t do any better on full size raised letters where clean up is a lot easier.

Great work!

Now, put this down and get going on the next step of your Mik project :grin:

1 Like

Thanks very much, Jon! Much appreciated!

And Jim, I’m seeing a diorama for someone to make:

“Two loads diverged in a narrow [gauge] wood…”

Loving the details the sight glass came out terrific.

1 Like

I’ve been painting here and there, and things are almost done. Mainly touchup this weekend…

…and the cab’s roof.

The boiler is needing more work through next week, but assembly should start next weekend.

3 Likes

As of an hour ago, Joe’s basically done – yay! Here’s some shots.

I just remembered though that it still needs a couple things: pilot link bar and (just for fun) a wood load. We’ll see.

Thanks all for following along with me on this project,
Cliff

3 Likes

And another great one bites the dust. Beautiful model Cliff. Excellent application of the newest technology.

Beautiful model. Wonderful.

I thought you were going to make a figure as well??? :innocent: