Large Scale Central

Jan's and Ric's Great Adventure in 2021

3 January, 2021 - Ridge Live Steamers, Dundee, Florida

And we start a New Year with Car Card / Waybill Operations here at the Ridge Live Steamers on January 1 -3, 2021. Ran the passenger train to the hourly schedule, yesterday (Saturday). Early runs today are annulled do to rain, but traffic should pick up as the weather moves through this afternoon. We start putting the 116 pieces of rolliong stock away at 2 pm. Jan was the Conductor and Bo provided Security as the railroad goes through some pretty tough neighborhoods. We had a young guest engineer, Mathew, on 2 runs. He used the horn so much he provided some false signals to other crews, but everyone seemed to understand what was going on. Its nice to see the Year start on a somewhat normal schedule.

2020 certainly was not normal and we are both blessed to survive. Our young part of the family is healthy. My Mom passed with the Covid, while we were back in Illinois. However, she was 96.5 and really had lost her desire to fight. She just wanted to peacefully move on and we did our best to keep her comfortable. Working to get all her affairs in order, we stayed back home from Thanksgiving, until we celebrated Christmas with our kids and their families on the 20th of December and then beat feet south to be in Florida for Christmas. T’was our first time to not be home for Christmas in 48 years. Jan says we still need to fine tune this.

On New Year’s Eve we did a short bike ride in on the Withlacoochee State Trail out of Inverness, Florida. This was trackage of the Seaboard Air Line Railroad and originally laid as the Brooksville and Inverness Railway of the Florida land boom of the 1920’s. And operated from the 1920’s through the 1970’s. This is our second time to ride this area. First time was in 2011. Nice area in the winter months, but I think the name is pronounced “Infurnace” in the Summer. This is the area where Andrew Jackson fought the Seminoles in our Country’s early history. Very interesting part of the State. Bike riding is a great way to see an area and learn the history. The “Rails to Trails” program has opened many abandon right of ways to new usage and many times preserves the Stations and other railroad artifacts for future generations. Yes, it is also controversial in some places.

So a NEW YEAR begins. Hope you can keep the rails shiny, explore new areas of your life and enjoy all that we have been given. A pessimist will complain that his glass is half empty and an optimist will be pleased that his glass is half full. I get so excited that I have a glass, I almost “p” in my pants. Thank each and everyone of you for your friendship. It means a lot.

Ric, sorry to hear about your mom.

I look forward to and enjoy your adventures with Jan each year. Please keep the updates coming.

And hopefully I can make it down there in Feb…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ric, sorry to hear about your Mom.

Sorry to hear of your Mom Ric, but glad you and family are still blessed with a glass (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

“A pessimist will complain that his glass is half empty and an optimist will be pleased that his glass is half full. I get so excited that I have a glass, I almost “p” in my pants.”

AND the practical person will say, “Hey, you know you can pour more drink into that glass, don’t you?”

Best wishes for a good 2021. My niece’s husband did point out one sobering fact - The original Mad Max movie was supposedly set in the year 2021! Nothing to be alarmed about, just invest in camels - the critters, not the cigarettes!

Regards, David Meashey

Sorry to hear of your Mom’s passing Ric.

Other than that, sounds like life continues to treat you well. I am struggling with the retirement decision. While I’d love to be able to travel, trading this house for a small place and an RV similar to what you did; but I really don’t want to leave this place. Can’t really afford to do both unless that Powerball ticket comes through (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for the kind thoughts toward my Mom. There are some long blood lines in our families. l had the pleasure of knowing my Maternal Great Grandparents (my Mom’s Grandparents), until I was fourteen years old for my Great Grandfather and Jan even knew my Great Grandmother. They traveled from Alabama and participated in the Oklahoma Land Rush of the 1890’s. Quite the adventurers at 17 and 18 years old. To live a long life with basically good health is probably what we all pray for. My Mom moved on with little pain and making here own decisions the whole time. Jan’s Dad passed in 2015. He was 98, but had lost his hearing, eyesight and the muscle structure to hold his head up. The last year was pretty rough. Mom’s way can only be beat by passing in your sleep. Enjoy everyday like it is your last and your regrets will be small. Once again, thank you for your kind thoughts here and privately. They are very much appreciated. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

12 February, 2021 - Ridge Live Steamers, Dundee, Florida

Time progresses as we are still in the South. The Ridge Live Steamers Winter Meet is the last weekend of February and people are gathering. Believer it or not, proper social distancing is being observed. Roger and Susie Caiazza from the Finger Lakes Live Steamers arrived a couple of weeks ago and Bob Wattecamp arrived from Long Island, NY shortly after. I’ve been working with Bob running his Wayne Godshall H-10 and Roger has been able to create some Youtube footage with a GoPro Camera.

For those interested, you can view it with a search

at -

Long Island H-10 2-8-0 Operating at Ridge Live Steamers on YouTube

Rick, sorry for you loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Ric Golding said:

12 February, 2021 - Ridge Live Steamers, Dundee, Florida

Time progresses as we are still in the South. The Ridge Live Steamers Winter Meet is the last weekend of February and people are gathering. Bob Wattecamp arrived from Long Island, NY shortly after. I’ve been working with Bob running his Wayne Godshall H-10 and Roger has been able to create some Youtube footage with a GoPro Camera.

For those interested, you can view it with a search

at -

Long Island H-10 2-8-0 Operating at Ridge Live Steamers on YouTube

Ric,

Thanks for mentioning the Youtube of you running the Godshall H-10. Beautiful stack talk. Sounds like a very “square” steam engine.

Awesome!

Having that much fun should not be allowed!! Great video - thanks!

So the fun continues. We took the H-10 over to the Largo Central Railroad. Video is on their website and in many places on Facebook. Pulled well over 30 cars with at least 10 people on board at times. The Godshall H-10 did its job and we had fun holding on. This fun is going to continue for the next few weeks in Florida. Let me know if you are in the area.

There was a visiting H-10 at Big Boots for the winter meet a fantastic locomotive. I had a nice long talk with Wayne Godshall the builder, a man with a lot of interests besides trains.

Best regards to Roger and Susie!

Yes Tom, that is the same guy. He is a very interesting, knowledgeable man. We plan to take the H-10 to “The Grand Concourse” on Thursday. I think that is the last of the road trips before our Ridge Live Steamers Winter Meet. The number of campers has increased and there are more people around. Social distancing is being observed, but everyone is still having a great time. The camp-ground is full, but there is always room for day visits. Let me know if anyone is interested in stopping by.

Great video Ric. I’ve been viewing some of the recent videos from Florida and I must say, for a number of reasons like the weather and running of 7 1/2" gauge, that I’m a tad bit jealous. Wayne Godshall’s H-10s have become quite legendary. The Jan/Feb 2020 issue of the Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading magazine featured an article entitled “A Gathering of H-10s at the Mill Creek Central”. It was about Wayne and his H-10s with a cover photo of seven of Godshall H-10s and their owners. At that time he had produced 17 of those locos. I believe that he has delivered six more since then.

I surely hope this Covid settles down by this summer. I’d enjoy watching you coming down the steep hill from the Mountain Division at Mill Creek again.

Ric Golding said:

So the fun continues. We took the H-10 over to the Largo Central Railroad. Video is on their website and in many places on Facebook. Pulled well over 30 cars with at least 10 people on board at times. The Godshall H-10 did its job and we had fun holding on. This fun is going to continue for the next few weeks in Florida. Let me know if you are in the area.

Sorry to hear of your mothers passing my condolence goes out to you and the family.

Man I keep forgetting about you being down there as I was in FL in Jan and could have traveled over to visit. as usual I’m a day late and a dollar short. I’ll make one of these days. Maybe next year as I will be in FL most of the month of Jan as I need to get away during the Holidays since my wife passed on. Stay safe hope to see ya soon. Later RJD

Ric the conductor…